Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
7,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I posted last Friday about my power steering pump woes. A "friend" was rebuilding my original pump for me. 5 Days latter I was able to pick it up (ticket was $45 for 1.5 hours labor). He knocked about half the paint off of it, so I repainted it tuesday night.

Then I had to go to Nashville. Got to see Rod_Cook's 71 Convertible there...very fun.

I got home this afternoon. All I could think about on the 4 hour drive back was putting that pump on and driving my '65. I got it back on OK. Filled it up with fluid...waited for the pump to prime...and the thing started whining WORSE THEN EVER.

I took it for a little drive hoping against hope (GRASPING AT STRAWS) that it might just need to run for a little bit and then it would be fine. Took a 10 or 15 minute drive. By the time I got hope it was still whining, hot, and wasn't giving as good of power assist. In fact at idle, it didn't even seem like i had power assist...I had to rev it up to turn the steering wheel!

I popped the hood. There was power steering fluid on the inner fender. It didn't seem to be leaking. I think it got puked back out of the filler neck when it got hot.

Just for chuckles I took the PS belt off to see what it would drive like. Like many of you warned me...it drove like crap. The steering doesn't center. It's got a lot of slop in it. Not to mention the increased effort. Shoot. What a mess. I'm really discouraged.

Think I'll go drink a beer or four.

Phil

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hmmm. Having trouble with the power steering... Join the club!

I just was just under the car today working on the control valve. It was leaking a steady stream so I tightened up the hoses to the cylinder and now it doesn't leak at all! Holy crap I actually fixed something /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Although realistically I know it will leak again /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

G

·
Yeah, gotta love those leakomatic p/s systems. They are fickle, but worth it when working right. I often wondered if I really needed to lube my driver's side suspension since the p/s system seemed to do such a nice job of it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sorry to hear that this situation has been a bad one for you.

Which cam pack did he end up using? Did he pressure check it before he put it on the car (or at all)? I have seen pumps with brand new cam packs still have low pressure. If they don't make at least 600psi just turning it over with a ratchet, I tear them back down and try something else. Beats putting it on the car and then finding it is weak.
It is not unusual for a pump to make some noise at startup, especially with a new cam pack, but they should get quieter with a little time and eventually get pretty quiet.

Then again, a few beers couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
If you look back here, all I can say is, "I told you so...."

Seriously, did you purge the P/S system after you installed the pump? The shop manual has that procedure, IIRC. Also, if it is now a personal thing, purchase a rebuild kit and take it apart yourself. It isn't that hard. Hell, you have replaced a rear frame rail, that has GOT to be easier than a pump. The reason I don't have P/S anymore is that I just got fed up with constistently replacing SOMETHING in the power steeringf system every 3 years or so...

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I could not get to NAPAONLINE, but like I had stated, take the pump down to the local NAPA and have them do the research FOR YOU.

I looked up at www.autopartsgiant.com and discovered for a 1968 Mustang (I think the insides are the same), you need:

ATSCO 7267 STEERING, PUMP core=10.00 cost=54.54
2 GATES 348600 STEERING, PUMP KIT core=0.00 cost=12.68

or, go to Kragen or Checker and ask the counter clerk to look up an A1 CARDONE 20-6091 or 20-6092.
Those pumps have apparently a limited lifetime warranty.

Now you have some real data. No more excuses or whining, Phil. I want to next see a picture of your smiling face standing in front of your Mustang with a new pump, or yours freshly rebuilt, installed in it./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,359 Posts
Taking off the belt on a p/s steering system won't give you an acurate indication of what REAL manual steering is like. With the belt off, YOUR having to heave the fluid backwards and forwards through the system. It's NOTHING like correct manual.

Take the leap! GO manual, what do you have to loose? $100 in parts and an alignment. It took me an hour and a half to remove my p/s steering stuff and install the new stuff. All you need is a manual center link and a drivers side inner and outer tie rod. You already have the 16:1 p/s box like the Shelbys and GT's had...

If you hate it, what have you lost? The manual parts can be sold to someone who is doing the conversion (lot's of VMF'rs), all you loose is the cost of the alignment...

I did this swap a few months ago... My car feels amazing now... It's not hard to steer at all and I have 225 front tires, a fairly aggressive alignment and skinny arms! I even recouped the cost of the new parts and alignment via selling the p/s stuff!

I'm not going to bs you. Manual is obviously harder than p/s. Parking can be a work out but if we drive like we should do and keep the car moving when steering, it's much easier. The road feeling is awesome though. You'll feel much more connected with the road. You'll even pick up a little HP!!!

Oh yeah, my engine bay looks so much cleaner too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts