Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted early this week about strange noises experienced last Saturday after a hard run on the open highway. A "clacking" sound followed by the shriek of a belt slipping in a stopped pully and then no further problems. A couple of members even responded that their power steering pumps had made similar noises before death. I couldn't reproduce the problem and my power steering worked fine but I went out and bought a replacement unit anyway. Took it out of the box and dug up my "authentic Mustang P.S. pump" greenish bluish silverish paint and shot the new one the correct color. That's when I started to remove the old one and realized there were only two bolts holding the pump to the bracket instead of the three I put in there when I rebuilt the engine last October. Then I asked myself what that bolt leaving the engine compartment would sound like. Hmmmm.....let's see.....possibly "clack, clack, clack, shriek" as the bolt bounced off the back of the moving pully and then wedged between the pully and the P.S. pump body before dropping out onto the highway? Thankfully the auto parts store decided I was a good painter and accepted the rebuilt unit back in it's new (authentic) color. Boy did I feel dumb for not checking the physical mounting of the pump before buying a replacement. Well, no harm no foul I suppose but I did feel like a classic doofus.

G

·
0 Posts
Not bad, but I don't think it beats the post I read last winter about the guy who replaced his leaking rear-main seal. After completion, he checked the oil. When he turned the oil filler cap, the valve cover came off. Seems he forgot to put the bolts in a while back. Capital-D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts