Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove my 67 GT350 for the first time since adding the 1" heat-insulating spacer and the 2 1/2" seat track adapters. It was a 93 degree day with lots of humidity.

First the spacer. I always had a problem with the idle quality deteriorating when sitting in traffic on a hot day. Also it was very hard to start when the motor was hot and the car had been sitting for a short time (heat soak). The insulating spacer solved both those problems. I can actually run a lower idle speed now because I don't have to worry about the car dying once it heats up. Luckily for me the Shelby hood has lots of clearance so the extra 1" of height was no problem. Edelbrock makes a 3/8" insulating spacer for the clearance-challenged.

Now the adapters. The extra 2 1/2 inches of leg room is great! I'm 6'2" and I've always had a problem working the clutch in a classic Mustang. My left knee is jammed between the steering wheel and the door panel and I have to work the clutch with my ankle. Now my leg is fully extended when I push in the clutch. Should have done this years ago.

If you are interested in building the seat track adapters I made a detailed post about them several weeks ago. No welding required, no modifications to the factory parts.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a no-name 4-hole plastic spacer I bought off eBay for $10. It was slightly warped so I had to sand it flat with a sanding block and 120 grit open-faced drywall sandpaper. I also had to make sure the holes in the spacer lined up with the carb. At first they didn't and the secondaries would not open.

Moroso makes one but it's red and says "Moroso" on it and I didn't like the look of it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I made a set for my 70 Mach1 and my prior 65 factback (6'6"-38" inseam).Still have some problem getting to the clutch.
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts