Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a DSL service. My kids are into on line games. I would like to let them both on at one time , but they need seperate IP addresses. I have a 4 position hub and a wireless network connection.
Is there any way to have seperate IP's without a second provider?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
You need a DSL router that supports NAT. What this will do is hide the internal address and allow everyone to use the service.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
You need a cable modem/DSL router. It will dynamically route the traffic using 1 ip address, They are available locally for under $100.00. The hub wont work for this application...

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can get a router that assigns separate IP address. I just got one that does this its Link-Max's LM 341. I just dont know if it will work with wireless.

G

·
0 Posts
I do not think a hub will do it. A router connected to your DSL modem should do it. I have a 4 port Linksys router which is assigned the IP address that my cable provider sees. Each computer connected to the router has its own IP address which is assigned by the router.

There may be other complications especially for online game playing. I don't have my documentation for the router here but I remember reading something about different ports needing to be opened or some other computer lingo.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Rich, as everyone has suggested, get the cable/DSL router. Then off of one of the ports on the router, attach your wireless hub. Now you can have the best of both....your kids are happy, and if you're lucky, you can be on VMF from the garage/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

BTW - by sure to change the default admin password on the router.....this will help prevent hackers from accessing your network.

Gregg

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gotta tell you... this place rocks!!! Thanks you all!! I'm on my way to the 'puter store!!!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gregg, maybe a web cam in the shop where everyone can watch me! Naaa, too much butt crack possibility. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif thanks again.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
well, here's the deal: if they are both browsing web pages at one time then that means you probably already have a router.

Many games require seperate IP adresses, this is a common problem, and often times theres nothing you can do about it. You might be able to get by if they arent playing the same game at the same time on some server outside of the network.

best bet is to call up your provider and ask if there is any way you can get a second ip adress. It will probably cost you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts