Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you experienced opentracker or road race guys use either an oil cooler or one of those accusump oil accumulators? Are they really worth the time or money? Any major failures with one of these?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I have neither...

The accusump is useful on the occasion during hard cornering the oil has climbed away from the oil pickup and the oil pressure goes to 0. The accusump will force the accumulated oil back into the engine. The accusump will refill when engine oil pressure returns to normal.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i had a "loss of oil pressure " problem in certain corners, replaced the stock pan with a Canton 7-quart tee-pan and no more problem.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I'm running a 9 quart Canton pan with baffles and all and never had a oil pressure problem on the track...

-bob

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I use an Aviaid 10 quart roadrace pan and a Setrab oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

Combined, that makes about 12 quarts of oil. At the end of a 20 minute session my oil temp is about 220F in 95 degree F weather. When I drive it on the street, (like last night) the oil cooler is covered with aluminum foil to build some heat. There is some trouble getting to oil temp to 180 on the street with this setup.

When I ran a aluminum Cobra T pan I did have oil pressure falloff on certain tracks in certain corners. I never spun a bearing but could see the extra wear on the rod bearings due to oil starvation.

Exxon/Mobil LOVES me.... ::

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I used to have oil problems in a couple turns at Sears Point and Thunderhill.

I put in a Canton 9 quart road race pan with baffles and decided to do an Accusump at the same time. I doubt I'd have any problems with that big pan on there, but I figured I might as well do both: when I finally get around to replacing the original 289, I'll be good to go. I have the electric switch on the Accusump, so I get oil pressure before I even turn the motor over in addition to protection on the track in the event that I lose pressure.

A fellow Shelby Club member has an Accusump on his race motor and has been running the same motor for 10 years. He seemed to think that the pre-oiler had a lot to do with the long life of the engine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
No cooler here; but did have some heat issues at ThunderHill this spring. Mostly sitting in pregrid awaiting runs in the afternoon. Once on track temps cam back down.

I too am running the Canton pan with baffles. I would suggest that a a baffled pan is a must for any open tracked car. Corners like the carousel (turn 6) can cause havoc with no oil pressure. But I still love that corner.

Joe P.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.