Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...do you find that the parking brake works worse, better, or MUCH better than when you had drum brakes in the rear?

Piecing together a FULLY COMPLETE (and I mean EVERYTHING) rear drum rebuild (and conversion to 10"x2" '69 Boss drums/shoes) is coming out about $200 cheaper than a rear disc conversion. That $200 IMHO would be well spent if the parking brake on the rear disc brake setup actually worked well/better.

Your thoughts? :shrug:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm not sure which discs you are going with, but I can tell you that the difference between the stock rear drums in my Jeep and the discs that I swapped from a Jeep Grand Cherokee (same as Explorer except the mounting holes) is night and day. The Jeep/Explorer uses a smaller drum inside the rotor for parking brake only.

I'm not sure how that little thing works so well, but my buddy was able to peel the ears off of the backing plate when he forgot to disengage the brake and was in 4-wheel low. I think one of the biggest benefits to the rear discs over the drums is that they never are out of adjustment. The automatic adjusters on drums just don't seem to work as well as you'd think.

Let us know which way you go and how it works for you.

Good luck!
Jeff

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm considering a kit that uses the actual disc brake caliper to clamp the pads to the rotor with the parking/emergency brake engaged (i.e. it does not have an integral smaller drum inside the rotor - like Jeff's Jeep).

So should this disc parking brake setup work better than the normal parking brake-to-drums setup?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I've got SN95 calipers and rear disks... I also have a short brake lever mounted on the tunnel. It holds OK... To improve it I'm going to extend the lever a couple inches to get more leverage / holding power. It's currently about the same length as the Lokar street rod handle. Using the foot pedal to lock the pads in place prior to pulling on the lever is always a good idea IMO.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I swapped in a rear from an Explorer. The parking brake seemed to work fine, but then again, I had an automatic transmission at the time so I never really needed to use it.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I have explorer disks on the currie rearend in mine and they have the internal drums for the Emergency brake.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/541000-541999/541371_84.jpg

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Hey gothand-

Is your parking brake setup a 1-piece shoe on
your Jeep? We make that for one of the OE's,
but I can't remember who. (looks kinda like an
automatic trans band)
It's pretty dam effective.....

Akebono Brake Corp
Farmington Hills, MI

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it looks to me like unless you get the $$$$$ rear disc setup with the internal drum parking brake, then the normal parking brake feature on normal disc brakes works no better or no worse than the stock OE drum setup... :confused: :(

·
Registered
270 Posts
1 Owner said:
Hey gothand-

Is your parking brake setup a 1-piece shoe on
your Jeep? We make that for one of the OE's,
but I can't remember who. (looks kinda like an
automatic trans band)
It's pretty dam effective.....

Akebono Brake Corp
Farmington Hills, MI
In my Jeep, it is a 2-piece shoe just like the Explorer brakes shown above byt fast68back. I don't know how that little thing can work so well but it just does. My best guess is that it is because its sole function is as a parking brake so it never gets out of adjustment like the shoes do on rear drum setups.

Ryan, the SN95 brakes use the calipers to clamp via cable and they seemed to work better than the drums but not the Explorer ones in my experiences.

Let us know how it goes. I'd like to add the Explorer brakes but I'm pretty sure I'd have to get new outer ends welded on as well as new axle shafts. My father just had to have his Currie 9" in his Jeep modified like this to go with the Explorer discs. It was not cheap, though the two new chromoly axles certainly added to the cost.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
gothand In my Jeep said:
You would need new ends on the axle housing, when I ordered my housing from Currie we discussed rear brake options and I planned to add the explorer disks at a later time so they built the housing based on the plan of using the explorer setup. I would give currie a call and ask them what is required for the explorer brake kit, their customer service was top notch.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gothand said:
Ryan, the SN95 brakes use the calipers to clamp via cable and they seemed to work better than the drums but not the Explorer ones in my experiences.

Let us know how it goes...

Jeff
Thanks Jeff - The Explorer setup sounds real nice, but way above my $$$$!

I'm thinking about going with the four wheel discs. Like I mentioned earlier, it's only about $200 more expensive than a front swap and COMPLETE rear drum rebuild (which I would want). And ANY improvement in the parking brake would be very much welcomed by me.

I'm sure I'll be askin' everyone for advice during an install... Hey - I've got question right now actually - do you need to remove the axles in order to do a rear drum to disc install?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Rorin67 said:
I'm thinking about going with the four wheel discs. Like I mentioned earlier, it's only about $200 more expensive than a front swap and COMPLETE rear drum rebuild (which I would want). And ANY improvement in the parking brake would be very much welcomed by me.

I'm sure I'll be askin' everyone for advice during an install... Hey - I've got question right now actually - do you need to remove the axles in order to do a rear drum to disc install?
Which rear disc kit are you contemplating that is a direct bolt-on and can you re-use the original parking brake cables or do you have to get custom ones made?

You will have to pull the axle shafts to do a swap though it is not nearly the same effort for a Ford 8"/9" as it is with a c-clip axle like the 8.8". Remove the drum, brake line and cable, remove 4 bolts and pull it out.

Good luck!
Jeff

·
Registered
395 Posts
"Which rear disc kit are you contemplating that is a direct bolt-on and can you re-use the original parking brake cables or do you have to get custom ones made?"

The SSBC rear disc kits use the original parking brake cables. I know because I have one installed on my '69.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Why not run a line lock for the front?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BLISTIC said:
Why not run a line lock for the front?
I seriously considered this, but all line lock mfgr's disclaim that the line lock SHOULD NOT be used for prolonged periods of time. It would be fun for those occassional burn-outs though! :thumbsup:

And Jeff - I'm considering THIS KIT from Direct Fit Brakes in Arizona. The kit comes with new E-brake cables. The front conversion is the Granada, and I need to ask them more about the rear conversion. I would get all four rotors cross-drilled (for an extra $80).

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Line locks hold back during burn outs all the time. Then you have the engines compression an clutches in the tranny. My car does weigh enough for it to pop itself outta gear or bump compression.
Matter fact I would like to see that...it would be funny.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts