Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the planning stage and need a few questions answered.

The wiring harness is out and when I reinstall it I want to add any additional wires/circuits that I will need before I stick the engine back in.

1. How many amps does the system draw? Will my 65 amp alternator do the job. Im not adding any other electrical load.

2. What gauge power wire did you use?

3. Did you run the ignition trigger wire through a relay and run power directly off the battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
Im in the planning stage and need a few questions answered.

The wiring harness is out and when I reinstall it I want to add any additional wires/circuits that I will need before I stick the engine back in.

1. How many amps does the system draw? Will my 65 amp alternator do the job. Im not adding any other electrical load.

2. What gauge power wire did you use?

3. Did you run the ignition trigger wire through a relay and run power directly off the battery?

Thanks
Hey Chief , I installer a Prius unit on my 66. It is rated at 40 amps. I doubt that it will ever draw that many amps unless you hold it against the turn stop.
I used 8 ga. wire and a 40 amp fuse. In a normal turn my volt meter does not move.
You need to run the 12 volt wire that actuates the unit from the accessory feed on the ignition switch, not hot when key is in the off position. (Some one suggested adding a switch to the wire so you can turn it off if you want/need to.) I didn't do it yet.
I have had mine in operation for about six months now. Parking and turning is really easy but it takes some time to get used to the no return to center. When you make a turn you have to un-turn it to get back to center. I also find that it wants to wonder around a little when driving straight.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im going to put the roller idler in first, keep the front tires on the skinnier side and shed as much front end weight as I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts