Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys or gals out there that have their radio head units mounted in the glovebox have any clearance issues? I started poking around back there last night, taking measurements etc. I have that giant black box for the heat and ac back there, and I just can't see how it's going to fit. I'm thinking I may have to relocate the relocation to the trunk, probably under the package tray. Any ideas, comments, suggestions? I'm starting to look at fabbing up a few small things while I'm waiting on a few parts to come in, radio bezel being one of them.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mine fit just fine. I fab'd up a couple of mounts and attached the head unit to the glove box door, so it actually tipped up and down with the door. Never had a clearance problem.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was considering that too. It may fit that way. I was hoping to be able to fab something up to mount horizontally and still leave a little spot on the side to put papers (registration, speeding tickets etc). Mounting vertically on the door would be a good alternative... thanks. Did you have to take out the glove box plastic, or did it fit with the inside part still in?

·
Registered
683 Posts
No, the glove box plastic had to go....and it was a real pain not having anywhere to store stuff.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was thinking. I may try and fab up a little sheet metal pocket that would stay in the glovebox, but leave enough clearance to close the door. Not sure though... it's not a huge space in there.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Mine fit excellent, with lots of room to put my paperwork for the car. I installed a lock for the glove box too so who ever wants me radio gets to fight the glove box for it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Do you have AC? If not, you may be able to fit in behind the center dash panel, and make a simple hinge or magnetic cover out of the center piece. I used to use a Blitzsafe back in the 80's when competing on the Iasca circuit.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have most of the AC components... just lacking the pieces for inside the engine bay (hopefully be able to get the rest before August hits here). Originally I though I would delete the AC and just deal with it... but the summer just gets too hot down here for a Northern boy living in the south

·
Registered
162 Posts
I mounted mine in the glovebox with the liner and everything. The liner had to be cut in the back to accept wires and create a little more room. I do have tiny bit of clearance issue but that is because I used to thick of board/mdf as a box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts