Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive always wondered how wel these old mustangs can handle. right now ive got a 1" FRont sway, 3/4" rear , KYB gas all the way around, eibach lowering springs up front . as well as a monte carlo bar and export brace. how many g can old stangs with a setup like this maybe pull ? also, what kind of handling can they really be compoared to ? could it with these kinds of setups handle as well as new gt? or the newer camaros ? i dont competitively race nor do i have great knowledge on this topic.. so im curious ! thanks guys

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
how many g can old stangs...pull ?
I would not count on much better than a .6 or a .7 unless you put some real sticky tires on it and change the alignment.

A vintage car will never handle as well as a new one. The world of suspension changed dramatically since "back when".

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Well,

I think a properly setup early car can handle as well as a stock or slightly modified late model. The late model Mustang suspension is nothing to right home about. The front strut suspension is just ok, and the rear suspenion in stock form is awefull. On the track, the modied early cars run right with the later cars. I will say that the later cars are probably easier to drive fast.

On the street it will be hard to beat a late model anything in handling, the later cars offer more compliant suspensions that track better over bumps and surface Irregularities.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I'm in agreement with Kent and Billgear and would like to add another limiting factor, old vs. new - Tire
contact patch. Early Mustangs just don't have enough room to stuff a wide sticky under the fenders.
Look at the contact patch on a Vette or or fast GM, the tire contact patch is much greater.
Bob.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts