Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford’s Original Vendor

In the August 2002 Mustang Monthly-- under the Resto Roundup section, the publisher mention that Daniel Carpenter Reproductions is having hoods and fenders remade from the original supplier. Has anybody seen the sheet metal? Is it exactly the same as the OEM or thin like the import junk?

Do you know who is carrying the new fenders and hoods?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I spoke to Harris Mustang, which is also in Charlotte and they are not carrying the sheet metal at this time. I've known Daniel for about 12 years and he's like his father- if it isn't an excellent piece, they don't sell it! If the parts are anything like other parts they sell, you should not be disappointed.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Here is Carpenter's Phone Number 704-786-8139

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Prices are close to the cost of Ford service fenders and hood just before they stopped producing them (about $400 per piece). I bought a set of fronts and a hood just before Ford ceased production. In comparing these to other reproductions I've seen, the following was noted. Fender fronts look different from reproduction. The curvature is slightly different and the headlight bucket nuts are applied differently. The rear edge of the fenders fits much better to the door than reproduction. In hanging them the Ford service fenders are much easier to hang and fit. Some of the reproduction fenders have sheet metal stamping waves in them that are hard to finish out. Same for hood. The question really is, "Do you wish to spend money on the sheet metal or spend it on labor to finish an inferior grade replacement?" You're gonna pay one way or the other so the price doesn't seem so bad once you know what you're getting. My understanding is someone has taken over Fords early sheet metal production...read about it somewhere but can't remember who it was. All this said, my Ford fenders don't fit as well around the headlight buckets/doors as I'd like them to. Be sure to fit headlight buckets and doors to fenders before mounting and hanging them. You may wish to do a bit of artistry on them so the headlight buckets/doors fit nicely once the fenders are hung.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts