Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My painter and I are getting down to color selections, and we want to make sure we get it right. Does anyone know what level of gloss Ford is referring to in 1965 when they call a color “semi gloss”? In particular, the engine bay and interior. Our best guess looking at some original interior parts is 20-25% gloss, but I thought I’d check here. Are they engine bay and dash “semi gloss” levels the same amount of gloss?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
IIRC it's 20%. Can't comment on the similarities between engine bay and dash although they ARE two different formulas...

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I use SEM "Trim Black" it's a lacquer and pretty impervious to anything, including brake fluid. Comes ready to spray in quarts. Cheated last time and let a buddy talk me into acrylic enamel with hardener on my 71 F100, it's so fragile compared to the SEM it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC it's 20%. Can't comment on the similarities between engine bay and dash although they ARE two different formulas...
Thanks. Different in terms of gloss level, or properties (hardness, etc.)?

Eastwoods ceramic chassis satin black looks nice.
Yes, I like the Eastwood satin. That’s what I’ve done the bottom of my car in...might just match it to that. I don’t want it too glossy in the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
According to an MCA judge on one of the other sites Krylon 1613 is used as the basis for the engine bay to best match the factory. I’ve done some spray out comparisons. The hot rod blacks and chassis satins I‘ve compared are plenty close in my book. The Kirker looks to be a good choice for a 2k paint. It’s about half the price of the Ditzler Hot Rod Black and tough to tell any difference.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Following up on vegasloki's post, I've attached an image showing the Krylon 1613 gloss level in my engine compartment.

Reactions: 67six

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone. I’ve got a case of the 1613 in the basement. I’ll take a can to the painter and we’ll match the gloss on it. @rhutt - your engine bay looks great!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The interior black is a) a lacquer and b) has a finely powdered metallic in it.
Sorry, we are on the same page now. Interior is going to be white, so color differences aren’t an issue. I’ll be curious to see how the 20% gloss black compares with the Krylon 1613.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
667 Posts
I totally agree on the Krylon Industrial 1613 for the Engine Compartment. Closest in color, and allows you to add "Factory runs" should you desire.

As far as the Interior Paint, it too was a lacquer paint. I doubt that any Paint Jobber now can, or will, mix up lacquer paint, so you'll be left with a low gloss Acrylic Enamel at best. In the early 80's, I bought at least a half dozen cans of black Interior Paint from Ford (picture attached). Realizing that it would most likely not be around "forever", I experimented to find something close. Krylon Satin Black (picture attached)looked almost identical. Not only did this match my 66 Mustang's black interior paint, but also my 57 Ford's. Even today with the newer non-lacquer Krylon Satin Black, it appears the same. Ford used the same "satin" Black Interior paint well into the 80's. Its Part number was M4J-1724. Over the years, there were different suffixes on the Part Number. In 1965, the suffix was "-S", which stood for Spray Can (1965 Ford Color Chart attached). The cans I purchased from Ford in the early 80's has a "-H" suffix, for which I have no idea what the "-H" designated. Depending on your Paint Jobber, they should be able to take the old Ford Part Number, and mix up a single stage acrylic enamel that would be close.. They would then also be able to tell you the approximate amount of gloss.

I, personally, have never seen, noticed or read about any fine metallic being in Ford's satin Interior Paint. I would find this unlikely as Ford made it a point in the mid-fifties of eliminating the gloss colored dashes they had been using, and going to the satin for safety reasons (reducing glare). It seems like even a fine metallic might end up causing a glare. However, if your Paint Jobber can come up with original mix of M4J-1724, he should be able to tell you, one way or another.

Bob
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0482.JPG
IMG_0485.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
1965 - 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
NPD can supply any interior paint you may need. I purchased Seymour interior lacquer and it has held up well. It has a similar sheen to the Krylon 1613. I actually prefer the Krylon gloss level, even though the Seymour sheen is a better match to the vinyl seat trims.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I appreciate everyone's comments. As a note - the interior is NOT going black, so the interior black isn't important to me (although I'm sure it will be valuable for someone else who stumbles upon this thread). I only need black for the engine bay, which is what I'll match the 1613 to in terms of gloss. My painter has access to the PPG codes so we should be able to match decently well. The paint used is going to be Axalta Spies Hecker. Everything on the car is getting sprayed by a professional at the same time.

The interior is going to be 1965 white. I do have an original '65 white steering column to use as a data point when we are matching the white paint. I also have several cans of the NPD spray paint for backups/touchups and painting the plastics. The exterior will be Caspian Blue.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Were all the under hood black parts manufactured by Ford or come from one supplier? Just curious. I don't know. I would kind of expected that at least some of them came from different sources and that Fords spec was simi-gloss back. Not a specific brand or formula. Thus maybe some variation in gloss level and color among parts. Again, I don't know. This is a question not a statement or suggestion.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Were all the under hood black parts manufactured by Ford or come from one supplier? Just curious. I don't know. I would kind of expected that at least some of them came from different sources and that Fords spec was simi-gloss back. Not a specific brand or formula. Thus maybe some variation in gloss level and color among parts. Again, I don't know. This is a question not a statement or suggestion.
By the mid 60s Ford was still hurting pretty bad after the war and having the bulk of their parts made by vendors like other car companies. The time of the Rouge was well over by then. I really doubt back then there was much thought or effort was made on what shade the black underhood paint was. Probably like hey Frank take some gloss out of that black and call it good or hey Paint supplier just send us the cheapest mid gloss black you have.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Possibly & good point which I was quietly thinking if eg the Power steering Rams stand corrected were SAGINAW Manuf Rams & if not, Ae of the Matching P/steering pumps ala early '60's 'Vetted & most GM under hood Black is 70% Flat or rather Semi-gloss (& a bone of contention when I see how & some show sprayed e/bays that are glossier (black) Than a new late Cadillac or Hūrse! (Looks sooooo cheesy)
Strike me down with a lightening bolt: did I just mention General motors subsidery ? ( Guess Ford shouldn't have used the Roch Q-jet Carb on Ford/Mercury '70/71 429 CJ's either :p )

IF unsure for a general Project/swap/hotrod 30% reduction of gloss to lacquer or 2 pack gives the factory look results most are aiming for. My old fav used to be Acran 2 pack (originally aero industry paint)...Found ppg chassis black TOO glossy: but this is less specialized for concourse codes type paint #'s match.
Just my too much changing technology, forgetting ,2 cents worth. HRT.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts