Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Ford 289 heads and rockers help

706 16
I have a set of rebuilt 289 heads. Early 1966 date which seems to be non-rail correct?
Question is what rocker arms can I fit. Ideally looking for a kit with arms and pushrods but I’m not sure if the later comp cam sets can be used with this set up?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs Rim Gas
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
15,392 Posts
If you intend to install an upgraded camshaft you should plan on removing the press-in studs and replace them with screw-in studs. Machine work is required. Since your heads have the slotted pushrod holes you don't need pushrod guide plates.

· Registered
13,242 Posts
Think hard about the "standard camshaft". It was a real broomstick and quite ho-hum.

You can get away with a mild performance cam, like an Edelbrock Peformer, with your factory valve train. Anything more aggressive will require new screw-in rocker studs, rocker arms and pushrods. By the time you spend the money to do that you'll see why so many people just go with aluminum heads. But it's really no big deal to have screw-in studs installed if you want to stay with iron heads.

· Registered
44,164 Posts
You will need hardened pushrods and non-rail rockers but will need to verify pushrod length as noted above. Since you're going to stick with a standard camshaft there should be no need to change from the press-in studs and OE-type stamped steel rockers should suffice. Do you know what springs were used in the rebuild?

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all - I already have the cam shaft in place so I'm going to stick with that on this build.

I do not know what springs were used in the rebuild. My discussion with the shop that did the rebuild was keep it stock other than hardened valve seats.

· Registered
2,905 Posts
I think chevy small block fulcrums are the same size as ford, but they have little oil grooves in them like the ones in the comp[ rocker arm picture ...makes sense that those would be better if you need to get new fulcrums with the rocker arms anyways..

· Registered
2,111 Posts
I think chevy small block fulcrums are the same size as ford, but they have little oil grooves in them like the ones in the comp[ rocker arm picture ...makes sense that those would be better if you need to get new fulcrums with the rocker arms anyways..
Chevy rockers can be had in 1.6 ratio (same as stock Ford) but the geometry is wrong, and they will cause problems.

· Registered
2,905 Posts
Not the rockers themselves, just the fulcrum or ball. The ford ones have no oil grooves as the chevy ones do and I think they are interchangeable. I don't know if it would really help, but I sure don't think it would hurt if you were buying new ones anyways.
Automotive tire Sports equipment Rim Gas Circle
Automotive tire Sports equipment Rim Gas Circle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts