Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I am taking apart the old gal to have her blasted and painted finally. Doing so, I realize that I have neglected the rear end in the car this entire time! The 289 2bbl has been rebuilt with a mild cam and the C4 transmission has been rebuilt as well.
The rear is a completely original 8” with 2.8:1 gearing and an open diff. I would really like to put some pep in her step after she’s put back together with 3.25:1 gearing and a limited slip differential. My question is what do I need? Obviously, a new ring and pinion set along with a LSD, but what other parts are required to rebuild a rear end? i.e what bearing kit would I need? What are the better brands for rear end parts? Should I replace the axles too? Are there things that an inexperienced rear end builder like myself should know prior to disassembly/reassembly?

I appreciate any feedback! And yes, I am stiffening the body – Subframe connectors, larger sway bars etc.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would include axle bearings and seals while they are pulled out plus the upgrade parts like rear Trac Lock differential carrier, 3.25:1 ring & pinion gear, seal & bearing installation kit.

Reactions: Mustang4SF

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I rebuilt my 9'' carrier using youtube, google, and VMF for researching how to do it-it worked out great! It seems the 8'' rebuild process is pretty much the exact same as the 9''. For your mild 289, automatic car, I think your carrier would be a good enough unit vs a stronger 67 and up double ribbed carrier. Pull it and rebuild it with all new guts from someone like summit. A traction lock and 3:25 or even 3:50 gears sound perfect! A local machine shop can press new axle bearings on and the carrier races/bearings for a reasonable fee,. you can do all the rest!

·
Banned
400 Posts
Thanks for the correction!
You had it right the 1st post. 8". Gearing 3.25 if highway mostly or 3.55s if just mostly around town. Unless you have a press for the bearings, personally, pull and keep the old one, get a seperate 3rd member housing and have it built for you with new gears and posi unit, Auburn. Have Currie or one of the other manufacturers build you some new forged steel axles. You axles are the weak link in this chain. Break one inside the carrier and it will be a really bad day.
Do it right, or do it again. Anyone tell you that a 8" isn't strong hasn't ever worked on them. 9" just is stronger and more gear choices. I've done both and raced both.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would recommend the Quick Performance 3rd member w/fill plug option.

I just did the same thing; found a used 8" rear end and stripped all the way down. purchased the 3.55 Posi $505 kit and rebuilt entirely myself. If I had to do again, I would just purchase the $695 3rd member kit w/drain plug option for time/effort/efficiency. The company is super supportive and answered all my questions on 2-3 follow up calls (e.g. torque, preload, etc). I re-used the original 28 spline axles; replaced bearings, seals and lug posts.

I am running a 302 manual T5 with a Trick Flow top end kit (@400HP/350ft-lb) and the 8 inch will be more than sufficient assuming not getting on it at every light.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
I would comb for a drop in set up, whatever you want, if 3L25 is it, then great.

Rather than rebuilding what you have. The value of an 8" common open set like you have is +/- $50,

The only real hard part if you do it yourself, is setting the lash. I have found I am just not that good at that task.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You're looking at about $150 for the rebuild kit, $200 for gears, and $300 for the T-Lok, so ~$650 before you even pull the chunk out of your car. I do absolutely everything myself if possible. Prebuilt LSD center sections aren't cheap, but even I have to admit they are a pretty good value.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I just installed a new center section from quick performance. Very happy with it and great customer service. I was not sure if I should build it on my own or buy ready.

+1 for new seals and bearings. If you have a shop press do it on your own. I have the 20 ton HF press and it worked out very well.

If you install new seals apply some oil on the lip before installing the axles. Otherwise you might damage them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.