Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I just bought this 9" that was in pieces and I was going to replace the axle seals at the suggestion of the person I got it from. Problem is, with all the different 9" configurations out there (big bearing, small bearing, etc..) I have no idea which axle seals I need. This 9" is the same width as one that fits a '67. Near the ends it tapers a bit. The axles are 28 spline and do not narrow. I got some axle seals at NAPA since they seem to be the only autoparts store that knows their elbow from their ass hole, but I just can't quite get the axles in all the way. Seems I have about 1/4" between the backing plate and drum on one side and 1/16" on the other, with the other being uneven (hoping I didn't bend my axle plate when trying to hammer it on). Can anyone give me a part number from either autozone or NAPA or O'Rellies so I can pick them up locally? Wost comes to worst, can someone give me a part # from somewhere else? Thanks.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If you had the wrong seals, you'd definitely know about it. They would either fall out from being so small, or they won't go in from being so big.

You should use a drift to drive them in and seat them fully, if you haven't.

You'll know when your axles are all the way in, because the backing plate will be flush with the outside edge of the axle bearing. You should not have to pound on either the axles, or the backing plates. They should slide on/in easily.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I can't see the bearings because of those plates that hold the axle on. I just can't understand why there is that 1/4" gap. I am still thinking the guy at NAPA gave me the wrong seal and it didn't seat back in far enough. I remember him saying something about an 8.9" or 8.75" or something of the sorts....they fit in the housing, but didn't slip perfect. I thought you were supposed to pound the axle in to seat the seal and bearing. Are the drums supposed to have a gap to the backing plate or are they supposed to sit flush/almost flush?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Pounding on the axles is VERY tough on the bearings. You need to seat the seals (using a drift), then slide your axles in. With the axle retaining plates loose, you should have no problem seeing the outside edge of the bearing. There's plenty of play in the retainer plates.

If the seals started in, you have the right ones. They are a very tight fit, and the reason you need to drive them in with a drift.

The inside edge of the drum needs to go over the edge of the backing plate. In other words, there should be no way you could slide something between the backing plate and the drum when everything's assembled.

I'd start with removing your axles and making sure your seals are fully seated. Don't pound on the axles any more unless you want to replace the axle bearings.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alrighty, sounds like that is what I am going to do. Thanks for the help......oh yea, what is a "drift"?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts