Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
I am unable to find it now, but several newspapers had charts showing number of total deaths per week for March & April for the last 10 years. The first 9 years were almost equal each week, but 2020 had the expected spike. By looking at the increase in total deaths historically we can see how many the pandemic has "caused," whether it's by the virus itself or side issues like suicide, drug overdose, or lack of medical care, balanced against the decrease in traffic deaths, work place deaths, etc. C-19 is clearly worse than the seasonal flu, but not as bad as the wrongly named Spanish flu.
I'll be at Carlisle, but have a mask with me.
It will be a while before I got to an indoor restaurant, movie theater, etc.

Here's an interesting chart to compare past events. Remember, the Black Death killed half of Europe (and they had no idea what it was, where it came from, or how to deal with it).

Reactions: Gecko

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
The flu takes 40,000 - 60,000 Americans every year, and it doesn't even make the news. I guess we're used to that.
It does get reported. Every year. The 10 year average for flu deaths is around 30k per year. That‘s 83 people a day for 12 months. Covid 19 so far in six months is about 843 a day. Yesterday was 1400 or about one person a minute.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Actually every year 7397 people die in the US every day... 5205 of them over 65y/o.
Those numbers, with the virus included, have barely changed.

back on topic, I love 1970 fastbacks in grabber green. A Boss 302 in that color would be my Mustang pinnacle!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
For old folks with health issue, this has to be taken with great concern. I can understand the healthy thinking it just another "Flu type" issue, I can get through it.
The basic problem we all need to understand and dwell on is the connections, contact we have with our family's, our loved ones we want to hug, see, be in our lives.
Yes, we are guilty, we want to do just that, hug them, be as normal, But darn it hurts when you can't. SCARED of getting this darn covit, and dying because of our poor health.
Just venting folks.
Dan

·
Registered
20,925 Posts
It does get reported. Every year. The 10 year average for flu deaths is around 30k per year. That‘s 83 people a day for 12 months. Covid 19 so far in six months is about 843 a day. Yesterday was 1400 or about one person a minute.
The town I work in has a large hospital. They had so many COVID patients, they ran out of rooms and had to put them in tents outside. Next town over has a very large medical center. They resorted to using the cafeteria. I was stranded 8 weeks from home due to this. So yeah I'm a little cautious.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Last time I attended Ford Carlisle was about 10 years ago. Plenty of main vendors (eg, CJ's, etc) & manufacturers. Probably not the case anymore? Also, any way of selling or trading parts without being a vendor. Vaguely remember people walking around with "wanted" or "for sale" signs. Am I remembering that correctly?

·
Registered
797 Posts
For old folks with health issue, this has to be taken with great concern. I can understand the healthy thinking it just another "Flu type" issue, I can get through it.
The basic problem we all need to understand and dwell on is the connections, contact we have with our family's, our loved ones we want to hug, see, be in our lives.
Yes, we are guilty, we want to do just that, hug them, be as normal, But darn it hurts when you can't. SCARED of getting this darn covit, and dying because of our poor health.
Just venting folks.
Dan
I don't think anyone wants anyone to die and everyone understands that there are people who have to treat this contagion deathly seriously. But the horrible problem is that we should not be forcing everyone to lock down their entire lives whether or not they are at risk. We quarantine sick people. We have never instituted such mass restrictions on healthy people.

People who are at risk should be assessing their own personal risk and acting accordingly to their own individual risk. Everyone else should be doing the best to go about their normal lives.

Reactions: mqu02 and Gecko

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
ok, all packed up and ready to roll up there this morning. I think my spot is R118 and oddly enough my buddies 89 is
R134. Its going to be hot hot hot :)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
update...just walked out the door and its f_ing raining..well, drizzle, sprinkle whatever...l..think I will wait an hour.....car was spotless for the 2 hour drive up.... sigh..

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
People who are at risk should be assessing their own personal risk and acting accordingly to their own individual risk. Everyone else should be doing the best to go about their normal lives.
Everyone is at risk. That’s the problem. Thousands have died that aren’t in risk groups. It can and does kill anyone and we don’t understand why that is. Those that may not be at risk spread to others that could be or that are killed anyway. The risk you’re taking is not knowing if you get it will it seriously injure you or kill you. You don’t know if you are at risk for death. None of us do.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Everyone is at risk. That’s the problem. Thousands have died that aren’t in risk groups. It can and does kill anyone and we don’t understand why that is. Those that may not be at risk spread to others that could be or that are killed anyway. The risk you’re taking is not knowing if you get it will it seriously injure you or kill you. You don’t know if you are at risk for death. None of us do.
Right on!! Some folks Just don’t understand what asymptomatic means . . . . Or don’t care!

Reactions: xj220

·
Registered
797 Posts
We actually do understand a lot about the virus and there are not very good statistics being captured and produced on comorbidities of those who die with covid-19. It's a big, confusing mess and it takes a whole lot of effort to unravel the big ball of FUD, but it can be done.

I'm not at risk.
That doesn't mean to say that I'm immune.
We do things all the time that involve much more significant risks without thinking twice.
The key thing that is locking people up is the apparent lack of personal agency in the consequences.

·
Registered
20,925 Posts
update...just walked out the door and its f_ing raining..well, drizzle, sprinkle whatever...l..think I will wait an hour.....car was spotless for the 2 hour drive up.... sigh..
One year I had only been about a half hour. Middle of the parts section wall to wall people, really packed. The weather was threatening, black clouds rolling in wind suddenly then a announcement came over the PA to seek cover, there was a tornado warning.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Report:
It rained most of the way up this morning, but stopped before we got there a little after 8 am (yea, early bird). It was overcast, light wind, in the 70s. As the sun decided to come out from behind clouds at about 1:30 was when we left. It rained on the way home. Guess we got lucky.
I'd estimate that about 75% of the vendor spots were full. It was reasonably crowded as the day progressed (but not having been there before I can't compare to previous years).
Bought a few things, saw some stuff I might buy one day, and overall had a good time.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
One year I had only been about a half hour. Middle of the parts section wall to wall people, really packed. The weather was threatening, black clouds rolling in wind suddenly then a announcement came over the PA to seek cover, there was a tornado warning.
I was there when that happened. One other time they tried to get everyone they could under the main bleachers because of a warning.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Anyone there in Carlise been in years past give us there thoughts on car attendance this year?
I've been going since '94, missing only a couple years. Missing this year because of scheduled family vaca.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I always forget to take enough pictures. Here's the 2021 Mach 1.
Lots of aero-stuff (to bottom out entering the driveway) and lots of HP plus enough rubber to erase a lot of mistakes. Stick is an option - 6sp.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts