Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(of course the other manufacturers do too) in a number of ways.....had to shell out an extra 200 bones for new rotors on SWMBO's contour....not beacause of damage: the rotor thickness all the way across was too thin, even though the car has 54K on it.

I've always hated the way the automakers make rotors just thick enough for MAYBE 2 turns (if you follow maintenance standards for brake jobs....)

Rotors should be thick enough to last 100K if you never run the pads down to bare metal!!

G

·
0 Posts
They need to keep weights done for fuel economy reasons. That is the reason the rotors are so thin. I have put 3 sets of rotors on my Sunfire so far,148K miles.The rotors for the Countour are 25.00 each at Autozone

·
Registered
455 Posts
The reason the rotors don't last is the composition of the pads.In the early 90's Ford(and everyone else)had problems with rotor vibration.The fix was to go to a more aggresive pad that actually cuts the rotor during braking.In the Washington,DC aria it is not unusual for the font brakes and rotors to be replaced in the 20-30K range.

G

·
0 Posts
One of my coworkers has a VW Passat, and they don't turn the rotors at all on those. You need a new set everytime you get your breaks done. To top it all off, they're not cheap.

·
Registered
660 Posts
$200.00? You can buy cheap ones that will definetly need to be replaced in 30K or you can ask the parts counter guy to give you a price on "good" ones. I was told $24.00 for rotors for the 89 T Bird I had. I questioned the $24.00 bucks and then said "No I want the good ones..like Bendix"(Made in Canada). They were $56.oo each...they lasted for 95K...thats when we gave the car away. "You get what you pay for".....

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nope they are not. I work for a VW dealer, and if its a newer one, you are looking at about $100 each! Plus they only last about 30 to 50 K!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts