Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of fenders I got with a parts car I purchased several years ago and finally pulled them down from the rafters to get a better look at them. They have a black primer coating and no identification stickers whatsoever. They are date stamped: 8 1 D3 and 7 31 D2. The rear fender support and headlamp bucket are also date stamped.

Without having any part number or manufacturer information on these fenders, how can I determine if these are truly Ford fenders and not just some aftermarket stampings? Are there any distinguishable characteristics I can look for that only the Ford fender had?

Knowing this information will help me to decide if I use these fenders on my current project.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
I had a similar thing with my car. I had one 67 fender that came with my car and was told it was a Ford fender in black primer. I think at one point it might of had a paper tag on it but can't be sure now. It seem a thick gauge and had no reason to believe otherwise. The test was putting it on the car, It fight perfectly so I gotta believe it was Ford. I did have to by a fender for other side. Went with the new fenders made from "Ford tooling" from Virginia Mustang. Overall not a bad piece but even that one needed some rework to fit.
See if just fits right on, that was my test. You know how well repros fit!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I might be wrong,but I believe that original fenders have the headlight door nuts welded right into the panel and the repo ones don't(in other words the nuts are flush with the face of the fender and the repos stick out a bit.)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I might be wrong, but don't believe I've ever seen a repo fender with date stampings. I would say they are probably original Ford parts. - Matt

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took a good look at the headlamp bucket weld nuts and they look like they are held in place via stamping each of the nuts corners (kinda like a coining operation)

http://

http://

Could it be that the repo fenders didn't include the stamped recession for the headlamp bucket nuts and that's why they may have stuck out further? Would anyone happen to have a set of repo fenders lying around for verification?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yep those are the same as my original ford fenders. that is exactly what I was trying to explain(the nuts are recessed into the metal,and the repo's are not.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts