1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Leaning Away From DEW Chassis For 2005 Mustang
03 July 2002. Dearborn, Michigan.
Robert Lane

It has been highly anticipated that Ford's next generation Mustang will utilize a DEW98 (Lincoln LS, T-Bird) variant chassis. While that rumor has been circulating for years, reliable sources on Team Mustang told BlueOvalNews that a new hybrid chassis may almost certainly be used instead. It's been well known around Dearborn that the DEW-lite program has been under intense scrutiny from Ford management. Sources at Team Mustang pointed to aggressive cost cutting at Ford that has sparked the desire to find a more suitable chassis.

The hybrid chassis is from the C170 program - otherwise known as the Ford Focus. Sources at Roush have also confirmed that they are testing a C170 hybrid chassis for the next generation Mustang. It wouldn't be the first time that Ford has used a front wheel drive platform for a rear wheel drive application - the new Jaguar X-Type currently uses one. Unlike the X-Type, the next generation Mustang is not currently being considered for an all wheel drive model though.

Team Mustang sources claim that the next generation Mustang will continue to be available in both solid and IRS rear axle versions. Contacts at Roush insist that they have only tested 2005 IRS Mustangs only.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The decision on the new chassis type was made about 6 months ago. I have not seen any sketches on the assembled chassis, but I have seen prints on approxiamately 300 individual chassis parts (stamped steel not including body panels). The Ford engineers I talked to, said the new style will not share a single part from the SN-95. The chassis is completely new. There is a rumor that the next GT powerplant will be a 4 cylinder. I heard this from two local Ford mechanics, who still claim the project is highly top secret and the're only rumors.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Is this another dejavu(sp?) all over again, trying to turn the Mustang into a Ricer car; Maybe they are resurrecting the Pinto with Probe parts. Which ever Ford employees that keep trying to make the Mustang into a four cylinder car should be sent to General Motors where they can be with their brethern!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts