Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to the Vintage Mustang Forum

I am creating this topic on behalf of the Ford Mustang Registry, which is part of the non-profit SaveAWildMustang project and is officially authorized by the Ford Motor Company.

The goal and purpose of the Ford Mustang Registry is to create an historical ownership record for your Mustang for posterity.* There are several Mustang registries to choose from when registering and we hope that you'll take the time to join the registry and supporting saving America's Wild Mustangs in the process.

You love the Mustang, now please help save the symbol of freedom behind it.*

FordMustangRegistry.com

Thank you from the Ford Mustang Registry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Something about the "authorization" on this official Ford site:
Collector Vehicles

would add some credibilty, imho.
Kevin
Hi.

We are absolutely authorized by the Ford Motor Company for the Ford Mustang Registry • All of the apparel and merchandise is also authorized by Ford. Our goal is quite simple: register and as many Mustangs as possible and Save Wild Mustangs.

You can also call Ford here in Dearborn @ 313.322.3000 to verify us.

P

·
0 Posts
I personally don't see any reason a registry needs to be authorized. That is a money deal anyway, nothing else. The purpose of a registry can be served, and is served, by identities having no link to a specific manufacture. we know Ford sold their information, so that should tell you how much they are concerned. This ia money grab.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
While registries are a noble cause (to some) the list of those that started, struggled, and died... is long.

- 68 S code registry - done by Guy Ramsey 2002. Now a point-in-time static artifact.
- At least two other web based S code registries I know of, both dead. All data lost, or just out of date.
- The mentioned In Search of Mustangs. Great effort, no another historic artifact of "what was".
- The Cal Special registry, done over many years then shelved by the collector to the Peterson Museum and locked away. Again, now a static point-in-time reference of interest, but does nothing for anyone other than "what was". (now being repeated by the current CS website, recollecting data and currently far less than was available).

Many others.

And by their nature they are always pretty much guaranteed to be incomplete and/or out of date. So, IMHO, not sure what the point is... other than a way to show "there are maybe more cars of this type than listed..." (assuming it is actively managed, not set-it-and-forget-it as most registries are)

Unless there is a "permanent" organization with long term structure (paying members and a group to manage, not an individual) to keep it active) a-la SAAC (Shelby registry) and individual doing it a a "labor of love" is pretty much wasting their time, as it will eventually fail to be managed and be another legacy point-in-time curiosity. Even SAAC has ahard time manging a registry of a few thousand cars, let alone the millions this Ford registry covers...

And then there is the aspect of more personal data on a sever to be hacked.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'm sorry, but I refuse to join any registry that has a category for Fiesta ST and none for Mach 1.

There are too many red flags for me here. First, you must register an account before getting anywhere. Second, the site proclaims to be helping a charity with proceeds. Looking at this from a completely cynical point of view this looks a lot like email address harvesting to me. There are far too many charities that are little more than slush funds and Save A Wild Mustang is still pending 501c status so it's far too early to tell with this one.

Pete's money grab assessment seems pretty reasonable at this point.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Make America Great Again. lol. Jeeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While registries are a noble cause (to some) the list of those that started, struggled, and died... is long.

- 68 S code registry - done by Guy Ramsey 2002. Now a point-in-time static artifact.
- At least two other web based S code registries I know of, both dead. All data lost, or just out of date.
- The mentioned In Search of Mustangs. Great effort, no another historic artifact of "what was".
- The Cal Special registry, done over many years then shelved by the collector to the Peterson Museum and locked away. Again, now a static point-in-time reference of interest, but does nothing for anyone other than "what was". (now being repeated by the current CS website, recollecting data and currently far less than was available).

Many others.

And by their nature they are always pretty much guaranteed to be incomplete and/or out of date. So, IMHO, not sure what the point is... other than a way to show "there are maybe more cars of this type than listed..." (assuming it is actively managed, not set-it-and-forget-it as most registries are)

Unless there is a "permanent" organization with long term structure (paying members and a group to manage, not an individual) to keep it active) a-la SAAC (Shelby registry) and individual doing it a a "labor of love" is pretty much wasting their time, as it will eventually fail to be managed and be another legacy point-in-time curiosity. Even SAAC has ahard time manging a registry of a few thousand cars, let alone the millions this Ford registry covers...

And then there is the aspect of more personal data on a sever to be hacked.

Good luck!
You've made some good points about registries coming and going and data being lost after a lot of effort. This is a principle reason why I started a single, unified registry. You've also pointed out about clubs and dues. Clubs are simply on the decline and fewer and fewer people are paying dues - especially with the amount of various forums out there and the rise of Facebook group pages.

One thing that we want to do is create a historical record for a certain VIN. In this way, sometime in the future when people search it, they will get some insight as to its past.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sorry, but I refuse to join any registry that has a category for Fiesta ST and none for Mach 1.

There are too many red flags for me here. First, you must register an account before getting anywhere. Second, the site proclaims to be helping a charity with proceeds. Looking at this from a completely cynical point of view this looks a lot like email address harvesting to me. There are far too many charities that are little more than slush funds and Save A Wild Mustang is still pending 501c status so it's far too early to tell with this one.

Pete's money grab assessment seems pretty reasonable at this point.
I have two 1969 Mach1s and have thought about doing a registry for that too - but there are ones for those out there already. Not sure about moving ahead with it.

The reason why we're NOT accepting money is because we're pending 501c. It either is a non-profit or it isn't and until we are approved by the I.R.S. - we are not. Once we're a 501c, we can open it up, but not until then.

And you raise another excellent point - how many non-profits squander money they raise? How many scams have you seen? The registry is a way to support those efforts by offering something to someone who registers rather than just asking for donations.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts