Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS ANYBODY OUT THERE RUNNING A 302 CRATE MOTOR FROM FORD RACING. I AM LOOKING AT PURCHASING THE 340 HORSE LONG BLOCK. DOES ANYONE HAVE GOOD OR BAD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THESE MOTORS.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I use the B50 shortblock in my engine (same shortblock as the crate engine) It takes a beating well... The Mustangs Plus cars have the 285hp version in there race car as over 6 years of nothing but racing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've got the XB3 long block with a 600cfm Edelbrock and Edelbrock RPM manifold. It took a little extra tuning to get it set up, but it is a GREAT engine. I only have about 400 miles on the car / engine at this point, but no problems yet.

You'll need 20w50 or 15w50 oil and 93 or 94 gas, BTW, to run the car regularly on the street. My dyno figures are lower than I had expected (about 250 hp and 270lb-ft,) but I didn't "follow the directions" and install it with an EFI system.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Its the best and most bang for your buck unless 1)you've hit the lottery and money doesn't matter. 2) You own an automotive machine shop(or daddy does) and you have unlimited engineering resources. 3)you actually like to spend three times as much money and time rebuilding a boneyard block with mismatched parts that will probably not run as well as you had planned.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Bro in law installed one in his 73 bronco (345 hp longblock)

no problems whatsoever, very nice engine actually. performs good and looks good.

well worth the money.

It has a 600cfm holley carb, heads were removed and ported, as was the rpm intake....

JBA shorties were installed, as was a be cool radiator and dual permacool fans with custom alum fan shroud.

I give ford racing a thumbs up!!! I just wish they would make strokers....I think that would be awesome.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Have carbed 270hp Motorsport 302 in my '65. Runs strong with T5 and 3:50 gears. Fairly good fuel economy too. I can recommend it. Idle lopes a bit too much for my taste but I've learned to live with it.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Another satisfied customer here!!!

I have the 320 HP version, with alum heads, E303 cam, etc. Four years now, 10K miles, 6500rpm /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif. VERY trouble-free - runs extremely well!

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/70/F3/10879856-4bda-00800055-.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts