Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have early 70's 302 (in a 1965), I ordered a set of ford racing wires (woth 70 degree boot) which look sweet but they would need a distributer that has male connections on top (look like spark plug tips sticking out instead of a female cap). Anyone have a setup like this or know if other ford racing wires would fit current setup?

·
Premium Member
5,892 Posts
Reactions: Imjus4u2nv

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
You can also get the Standard Motor Products AL-482 distributor cap, which fits the factory small block Ford distributor. It comes with the male terminals which will fit the plug wires you currently have. I believe you also have to get the AL-171 rotor to make it all work. I have the cap on my backup Ford distributor and have used it a couple of times with no problems.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,209 Posts
As mentioned by Lee I have the same FMS wires. I used the AL-482 cap but I used the FD-311 rotor. Been fine for over a year.

Reactions: Imjus4u2nv

·
Premium Member
5,892 Posts
You can also get the Standard Motor Products AL-482 distributor cap, which fits the factory small block Ford distributor. It comes with the male terminals which will fit the plug wires you currently have. I believe you also have to get the AL-171 rotor to make it all work. I have the cap on my backup Ford distributor and have used it a couple of times with no problems.
So International used old school Ford distributors and adapted the cap to male terminals? Cool trick!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
So International used old school Ford distributors and adapted the cap to male terminals? Cool trick!
Yup. The only thing you have to do to get the distributor cap to fit is to clean out the real thin plastic used to fill the notch on the cap that locks it in place on a Ford distributor.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I bought those wires in the 90’s and still use them so the quality is fine. I use the wide Ford cap but learned recently about the International cap, so I’ll try and find one of those.

One thing though: the wires appear to be for a 5.0 EFI installation and some are rather long when used on a 289/302 with the old firing order.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have the Ford Racing wires too, using the larger cap and adapter from local OReilly's. Since this pic was taken I converted to Duraspark and kept the wires.

Motor vehicle Hood Light Vehicle Automotive exterior

1 - 10 of 10 Posts