Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, hope I'm posting in the right spot

I'm looking at buying a 1965 Mustang nearby, and it has a 200 cu. in. straight 6 engine. I want to put on an intake for a 4 barrel carburetor (or some other bigger, higher-performance intake), but I'm only finding them for the 240 and 300 straight 6 engines. Are they cross compatible, or are there adapters available? Or possibly any other performance intakes/parts you guys recommend for the 200? I cannot find anything online for them.

I want to keep the original engine if possible, but if I can't squeeze out much more hsp out of this straight 6, I'll dump in a 289 and t10 and call it a day.

I appreciate all feedback!

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
The 200 ci 6 doesn't have a manifold that can be easily changed, it is cast into the cyl head. They can be modified to accept a 2 barrel, but you would still have to put up with the small inner diameter of the original log type manifold.

·
Registered
382 Posts
As stated, the intake manifold is part of the head casting. It is possible to machine the intake so it takes a larger carb. There are also aluminum heads sold in the aftermarket that include an intake manifold that can accommodate a 4-barrel carb. Vintage Inlines (https://www.vintageinlines.com) is about the only source I know of for the aluminum heads. You can find out more about machining heads on the Ford six forum (https://www.fordsix.com/forums/144-250-small-block-six-performance.1/) and in the tech information section (https://fordsix.com/ci/Tech.html).

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
If you are looking for performance you are much better off in the long run to buy a Mustang with a 289 or 302.

Sourcing the correct parts and doing the work or having the work done is time consuming and expensive.

Converting a six to an eight only makes sense if you have a garage, tools, the ability to do it yourself and you got a smoking deal on the car.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Decades ago there was an adapter kit that allowed the use of an additional pair of stock type single barrel carbs mounted near the outer ends of the integral intake of the 170/200 I6. (It was a 3 carb setup using stock type carbs.) It used a clamping system to attach the carbs after the holes were drilled in the manifold. I bought the setup (with its original linkage) from a junk yard but never tried it, nor know of someone who used one.

That one is long gone now and I believe that it may have been from Clifford Research.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
186 Posts
The 3X1 intake is still available- It looks cool but do you really want to deal with three 1100s. The aluminum heads from Vintage Inlines is a pipe dream at this time because of casting problems ( an update was sent out on 10/01/21 shows no production date and I don't even think you can get on the waiting list). The easiest way to get more carb is to get an adaptor that allows a two barrel Weber to bolt directly to the intake. This will help some but you will still be forcing more air/fuel through the same small hole. The next easiest way might be to get a later model big log head, have a flat place milled and opened up so you can mount an Autolite or Holley directly. The six can be hopped up but it ain't cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are looking for performance you are much better off in the long run to buy a Mustang with a 289 or 302.

Sourcing the correct parts and doing the work or having the work done is time consuming and expensive.

Converting a six to an eight only makes sense if you have a garage, tools, the ability to do it yourself and you got a smoking deal on the car.
I have a shop, tools, knowledge, and many second opinions to my disposal. Vintage Mustangs are rather rare in my area, but 289 and 302 engines seem to be breeding like rabbits on the marketplace sites. I'd think it'd be worth it to just put one of those in it, right? The car is one hell of a deal for my area, and the engines are easily found for under $500 here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 3X1 intake is still available- It looks cool but do you really want to deal with three 1100s. The aluminum heads from Vintage Inlines is a pipe dream at this time because of casting problems ( an update was sent out on 10/01/21 shows no production date and I don't even think you can get on the waiting list). The easiest way to get more carb is to get an adaptor that allows a two barrel Weber to bolt directly to the intake. This will help some but you will still be forcing more air/fuel through the same small hole. The next easiest way might be to get a later model big log head, have a flat place milled and opened up so you can mount an Autolite or Holley directly. The six can be hopped up but it ain't cheap.
Do you think it be cheaper to buy a 289 or 302 off marketplace and put performance parts on there? That's what I'm starting to think would be the better option

·
Registered
39,072 Posts
If you have the tools then you can mill off the intake portion from the heads, creating a flat sealing surface, drill and tap holes to retain your "new" intake manifold. There are ample intakes for the "big six" and the Australian cross-flow head, but little choices for the small six. There are vintage pieces you might be able to find like the pix below, you could adapt something that is "close", or fabricate a "sheet metal" intake from aluminum.

On the practical side, putting a bigger carburetor on a stock 200 without doing other "complementary" mods isn't necessarily give you a good return on your investment. You need to address air flow as a whole... cylinder ports, valves, intake, exhaust, camshaft... and any change in carburetion will also necessitate a change in ignition as the original Load-O-Matic distributor will no longer be compatible with the carburetor.

I'd make a visit to https://fordsix.com/ and do a little light reading on small six mods.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
186 Posts
289/302 parts are almost always going to be cheaper because of availability but swapping a 6 for a V8 is much more involved particularly on a 65-66. You also need to swap the entire suspension and brakes because of the added weight. then there is the radiator, drive shaft, engine mounts, wheels, tires. Plus the engine and transmission. I am sure I have left out a whole bunch of other little goodies. What is your goal for the car- to have fun, a cruiser or a street terror because there is always going to be a faster gunfighter. Swapping for a V8 is a popular and is definitely doable but if the six is running, you might want to just drive it and enjoy it as is. Then see where it goes from there. Another consideration is down time. A project you think will take a few months can easily stretch into years. Life happens. I parked my 67 when my son was born and just got it running last year and he is now 16.

·
Registered
'66 Convertible 200/c4 Vintage Inline Headers with Arvinode Duals
291 Posts
This article from the July, 1967 issue of Hot Rod Magazine has several intake mods for the 200. Most require drilling and welding but its an interesting read.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If your looking for power from that six similar to a v8 forget it, because even if you could find an alumn head & put all the other parts on & into it to get more from it your will spend a LOT of money only to be disappointed.

If however you don't mind a 6 that is not a tire burning gas sucking machine you can do some mods to it & have a much better operating car than what you have now.

The changes will cost about the same money as if you did them to a v8 car only the power return is less.

Realistically you would be money a head to decide which drive train path you prefer & go in that direction. From a 6 cyl owner who has & is spending that stupid money for the less power option& to be honest I'm ok with that.

You can check out some of the mods to my car in my showcase ,It The Money Pit. Good luck which ever way you take YOUR MUSTANG.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your looking for power from that six similar to a v8 forget it, because even if you could find an alumn head & put all the other parts on & into it to get more from it your will spend a LOT of money only to be disappointed.

If however you don't mind a 6 that is not a tire burning gas sucking machine you can do some mods to it & have a much better operating car than what you have now.

The changes will cost about the same money as if you did them to a v8 car only the power return is less.

Realistically you would be money a head to decide which drive train path you prefer & go in that direction. From a 6 cyl owner who has & is spending that stupid money for the less power option& to be honest I'm ok with that.

You can check out some of the mods to my car in my showcase ,It The Money Pit. Good luck which ever way you take YOUR MUSTANG.
I’m aiming to just make it

im not looking for V8 power because I’m well and aware it won’t be there. I just want a cruiser with a tad more power than stock. I’d be okay leaving it bone stock too

·
Registered
66 Inline 6 (PS/ Auto/ Factory AC Removed)
190 Posts
I have a inline 6 and have modified it to run a larger fuel source.
I ended up going with a large log head and had the intake built up with nickel and then machined for a larger intake hole and milled flat. I will eventually swap to a holly sniper 2300. The large log head and "fuel injection" will provide some performance increase, however I am more after the reliability of this system over a stock carb.
It was not to expensive for me either as I picked up a long block with large log head for $100 and the build up/ machine work was $300.
Now I just have to get the head rebuilt with some slightly better components and a cam package and it will be ready to accept the sniper system. Over all much cheaper than the aluminum head swap offered online.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have a inline 6 and have modified it to run a larger fuel source.
I ended up going with a large log head and had the intake built up with nickel and then machined for a larger intake hole and milled flat. I will eventually swap to a holly sniper 2300. The large log head and "fuel injection" will provide some performance increase, however I am more after the reliability of this system over a stock carb.
It was not to expensive for me either as I picked up a long block with large log head for $100 and the build up/ machine work was $300.
Now I just have to get the head rebuilt with some slightly better components and a cam package and it will be ready to accept the sniper system. Over all much cheaper than the aluminum head swap offered online.
When you get ready for a cam call Schneider Cams they can grind what you need( or want).

You will definitely see a better performing motor with the large log head & sniper. Do your self a favor when you install the sniper & weld the o2 bung into the exhaust pipe .

You may not have hood clearance issues since the head is milled & won't require an adaptor. But if you do you can put a drop base air cleaner & a 2"washable element from Southwestern Performance that will help with that problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Leave it alone
If you were to mind meld a bigger carb on that 200 it would just run like puke
If you buy that one just enjoy it
Nobody will know what's under the hood till you tell them and the sixes run forever
Enjoy the gas mileage

·
Registered
66 Inline 6 (PS/ Auto/ Factory AC Removed)
190 Posts
When you get ready for a cam call Schneider Cams they can grind what you need( or want).

You will definitely see a better performing motor with the large log head & sniper. Do your self a favor when you install the sniper & weld the o2 bung into the exhaust pipe .

You may not have hood clearance issues since the head is milled & won't require an adaptor. But if you do you can put a drop base air cleaner & a 2"washable element from Southwestern Performance that will help with that problem.
I have never done a custom cam grind, and at this point I’m really going off of what classic Inline‘s had posted in their cam selection section.
they recommend a 200-215 degree cam without having to upgrade the stall.
I was looking at a comp cams kit

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have never done a custom cam grind, and at this point I’m really going off of what classic Inline‘s had posted in their cam selection section.
they recommend a 200-215 degree cam without having to upgrade the stall.
I was looking at a comp cams kit

Look on the Fordsix .com site & call Bill Ambler of Ambler Raceing he can give you some good info on what you might need as he has a 6 in his mustang.

I've purchased a few things from him and talked to him about my plans for my eng & he told me what I should do cam wise based on the parts I have ,he seems to be a nice guy. When I talked to Schneider cams their recommendations on the cam was the same exact thing as Bill Ambler had said.
Good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts