Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if you weren't able to get your hands on a 2017 Ford GT, you can blame John Cena. Well that and the inability to spend $450K on a halo car. Cena was one of the lucky few to purchase one of the 500 cars produced, but flipped it soon after taking possession, which is a violation of the purchase agreement. "You can't see me!"

Ford is reportedly suing John Cena for selling his Ford GT

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yeah he will be paying up. This is exactly why ford made the agreement. Did not want people just buying their cars to flip them. I don't buy into the sold it because he needed money. He is making a lot of money. I would be more likely to buy into he cannot handle the car or did not think he would get the car.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Yeah, something's fishy. Seems to me he was well aware of the hoops he was made to jump through to buy the car, including the part where he couldn't sell it for twenty four months. If I laid out half a mil for a car, I'd be well aware of the provision not to sell it.

It also seems to me that if he was in dire financial straits, Ford would have take the car back at full price and "flipped" it over to another buyer on the list for the same price. A pre-packaged buy-back deal would seem that would be the only way Ford could force someone not to sell something they owned.

Is the agreement anywhere on line?

John

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It also seems to me that if he was in dire financial straits, Ford would have take the car back at full price. A pre-packaged buy-back deal would seem that would be the only way Ford could force someone not to sell something they owned.

Is the agreement anywhere on line?

John
I believe the agreement requires you to sell the car back to Ford if you decide not to keep it for at least 24 months

·
Premium Member
12,933 Posts
I believe the agreement requires you to sell the car back to Ford if you decide not to keep it for at least 24 months
Correct. Of course selling it back to Ford wouldn't gain the jerk a profit. IMHO. he knew all along he was going to flip it immediately. Just thought Ford wouldn't be aware. I don't think an ethics class was part of his pro wrestling education.

Z

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
He already has his defense in order. He told his business manager to liquidate some "cars" and thats what was done. If he went bankrupt and was under order... The question will be about the rights to the profit over MSRP. One of the dealer capitulations for the no-sale moratorium is to sell the car @MSRP from the dealer or else dealers would add their own ADM.
I believe there is already some precedence set regarding Porsche GT cars, some both ways depending on the language and motive.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
His defense will lose. He is not bankrupt. They are specific on their terms of sale. Ford could have sold it for more but did not. I think he thought he could get away with it and ford would not say anything because he is a celeb. Even under bankruptcy, he may have had to sell it back to ford.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks Ford is the asshat here for even putting that in the contract?

Where is Ford when people are being price gouged over other special editions, but decide to be ethical on this car? Pfffft. Once money exchanges hands as far as I'm concerned there should be no sale restrictions on selling it.

Ford should have built more. What does Ford care what they're worth after they're sold? They're the idiots for not building 6,000 x $450,000 (that's 2.7 BILLION dollars, by the way...)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks Ford is the asshat here for even putting that in the contract?

Where is Ford when people are being price gouged over other special editions, but decide to be ethical on this car? Pfffft. Once money exchanges hands as far as I'm concerned there should be no sale restrictions on selling it.

Ford should have built more. What does Ford care what they're worth after they're sold? They're the idiots for not building 6,000 x $450,000 (that's 2.7 BILLION dollars, by the way...)
Your not an asshat but you must not fully understand the reason they make the GT. It is not about money. Ford wants the true drivers to own them. Actually, there is belief that they may not be making money on the GT but hard to believe at 450k. This is their flagship car and they don't want it being scalped like concert tickets. Otherwise the dealers would be able to charge over the msrp. I am glad ford did it just do not have to money to buy one lol. It is a car they want people to see on the street. If you look at all the pre-purchase questions they asked, you know what they expected from the buyers. Then they still had to sign the purchase agreement. If Cena wanted to buy a car to sell he should not have bought the GT. If I had the money and read the agreement, I would not sell it as I agree to. I would not be an asshat and try to pull a scam.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Your not an asshat but you must not fully understand the reason they make the GT. It is not about money.
Yes it is, Ford is in business to make money. They don't make money they go out of business.

Actually, there is belief that they may not be making money on the GT but hard to believe at 450k.
Then they have 2.7 Billion reasons to sell 6,000 more.

YThis is their flagship car and they don't want it being scalped like concert tickets. Otherwise the dealers would be able to charge over the msrp. It is a car they want people to see on the street.
Flagship car? That what, no one will ever see? I have yet to see the previous gen car on anything but TV shows (the one from like 10 years ago). In all my life I've seen one real original GT in person. I will likey NEVER see one of these cars in person. Again, if Ford cared so much about price gouging they have a weird way of showing it... (because they've done almost nothing to stop it on other vehicles).

If you look at all the pre-purchase questions they asked, you know what they expected from the buyers. Then they still had to sign the purchase agreement. If Cena wanted to buy a car to sell he should not have bought the GT. If I had the money and read the agreement, I would not sell it as I agree to. I would not be an asshat and try to pull a scam.
I agree. Cena should have NOT sold the car, but I still believe Ford should have never had that type of contract and they should do what any business sitting on a 2.7 billion dollar sales potential would do... give the people what they want.

If they actually built enough for people that wanted them... then there wouldn't be dealer price gouging and maybe there would be a few around to sit on dealers lots for people to oogle (the real reason for a "flagship car." Chrysler NAILED this in the 90's with the Prowler. Got people to come in check it out and they left in an Intrepid :lol:). That can't happen with only 500. The vast majority of the public will never see this car nor have any idea what it is. Major fail on Ford's part IMO.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Flagship car? That what, no one will ever see? I have yet to see the previous gen car on anything but TV shows (the one from like 10 years ago).
I've seen half a dozen in person, and there's a guy in town who has an 05 with the Gulf colors. Talk about a head turner, but I digress.

I don't see why it matters if someone has seen any GT in person or on TV, print, or internet. If you pull the badges off it, I could not identify any other Ford currently sold except the Mustang. There's gonna be a lot of Fiestas sold but I don't have a clue what they look like, nor do I care. But I do know what all three versions of the GT look like. I can promise you that anybody remotely into cars beyond their appliance utility knows what any year GT looks like.

Most people have never seen their favorite actor in person either, yet these people command attention from millions.

I also think you've totally missed the point with the purchase contract. Dealers cannot sell the car beyond MSRP despite the high demand, and buyers can't flip them for 24 months. It's the only fair way to make sure a real enthusiast gets to buy one instead of someone who is going to flip the car, something the dealer could have done if *they* had the opportunity.

If you can't keep the car for any reason unforeseeable or not, Ford will purchase the car back for what you paid for it. Pretty fair deal AFAIC.

If all this is too restrictive, the buyer could buy anything else.

Buyers for years have bitched that Ford dealers would load up limited edition high demand Mustangs to pad the price, but I can't ever recall any buyer complaining of guilt pangs when dealers are stuck with bread and butter cars and get bent over by consumers with their CR printouts demanding the car for less than retail and getting them.

The answer to both is the same; buy something else if the price is too high or your conscience bothers your from too steep a discount.

John

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
They should sue his A$$ off. Pay up . "Athletes" ( even those who steal in China) need to pay the price for thinking they can do anything they want. The only stupid thing Ford did was give it to an unappreciative schmuck like him. Star on the field no doubt , dumba$$ in LIFE. Shoulda hocked disposable shavers instead.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Read about this earlier today over at Team Shelby. And he is being sued, they have the legal paperwork linked there as well, so no reportedly, it's been filed.
And Cena's gonna lose because he violated the contract terms. Cena was able to get a new one because he has an '06 GT, and he bragged about how much publicity he could get with it if he were able to buy one in the application he filled out.
I actually got to see Ford deliver Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony's '06 GTs before a show in Detroit. Pretty cool. Tried to get pictures after they moved them around the block, but security was there and wouldn't let anybody close enough to get pictures.
As for why doesn't Ford make more to satisfy demand? Cuz they don't want to.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
As for why doesn't Ford make more to satisfy demand? Cuz they don't want to.

Exactly. And it may be more than not wanting to dilute the product with too many examples.

While Ford used as many off the shelf systems as possible, there's no way the car has millions of miles and millions of hours of projected life tests. If something goes wrong and Ford has to repair or buy back what is virtually a pilot level production car, the cost could be staggering. Another possibility is that even with the amortization of a thousand vehicles, they may not come close to paying for the project. I think the real value is indeed the "halo" aspect of the car as opposed to any bottom line profit.

John

1 - 20 of 65 Posts