Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Massive SUV To Be Phased Out In '04

DETROIT-- Ford Motor Co. will halt production of its Ford Excursion sport utility vehicle, Local 4 reported Tuesday.

The mammoth SUV, which was introduced as a bigger competitor to the Chevrolet Suburban and GMC Yukon XL in 1999, will be phased out after the 2004 model year, sources told Local 4.

Ford's policy is not to discuss future product development and the automaker would not confirm the report, according to Local 4.

The Excursion easily carried eight passengers and was so large that Ford installed a blocker beam to prevent it from rolling over smaller cars in crashes.

Environmentalists criticized the vehicle for its 13 mpg fuel efficiency and blasted Ford for its excess.

"The product, in a way, defined how big was too big for an SUV for this market right now," said James Hall, an analyst with AutoPacific.

Ford unveiled a monster Tonka truck concept (pictured, below) at the North American International Auto Show in January. Hall says that Ford's next generation of super-duty trucks will resemble that concept. He said that when the company looked at including the Excursion into the mix, the SUV's declining sales were discouraging.

Hall said the company needs to be confident in a favorable return before making an investment in future products. The Excursion likely failed to produce that type of guarantee.

Ford said it sold 2,186 Excursions in June, down more than 36 percent from the 3,576 units it sold in June 2001. It was the second consecutive month that sales were down more than 30 percent.

The base Excursion 4x2 XLT sells for $33,945 and the vehicle's price tag rises to more than $48,000 for the 4x4 Limited Ultimate model.

Allan Emmer of West Bloomfield, Mich., sold his Suburban to lease an Excursion two years ago. His lease is up next month.

"I'm going to go back and look at the Yukon XL," Emmer said.

Meanwhile, a task force in Missouri is working on a proposal to convince Ford not to close a suburban St. Louis plant. The Hazelwood Assembly plant is slated to close in coming years, eliminating about 2,600 workers as part of a restructuring move.

SURVEY

Ford may halt production of the Excursion SUV in the 2004 model year. Is the SUV too large for your taste?
Yes
No

Copyright 2002 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I'm gonna get flamed for the following statement but I still believe the Excursion was a feeble attempt by Ford to copy something that Chevy (Suburban) had been perfected for years..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i live in so. california and i can't imagine trying to manuver (sp?-where's the advise/advice guy when you need him?) that behemouth(sp?) around in traffic. i have three kids and i drive a durango (non-ford, sorry. promise i won't drop a hemi in the stang!). just came back from a road trip to arizona and had just enough room for people/luggage/5 bikes/touristy souveneirs(sp?). i think excursions are a good example of how big is too big. now if they convert the excursion plant into a gt-40 plant.........mmmm................

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
its about damn time!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If you look really hard at the Excursion...it really looks like a large "full size" Ford van with different doors on it. Why not just get a friggin van? they come in 4x4 too! If every one owned a Honda, would we all get one too?

Man, excess at it's greatest attempt.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If you look really hard at the Excursion...it really looks like a large "full size" Ford van with different doors on it. Why not just get a friggin van? they come in 4x4 too! If every one owned a Honda, would we all get one too?

I would have to get the shower and port-a-potty options in my Excursion, perhaps even a double wide version and just live in it.
Man, excess at it's greatest attempt.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
thats okay...ford doesnt make any motors I like since about 1995....

screw tritons and 4.6's

Looks like when SWMBO gets a suv, it'll be a durango 5.9...sad but true

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
My wife owns an Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer. It is every bit as nice as either Excursion, Yukon or Tahoe. It has IRS and every option you can think of including six stacker CD and rear seat air conditioning. The only thing I can think of that Excursion has that "Eddie" doesn't is a flat floor with the rear seats turned down. The only thing Tahoe and Yukon have that "Eddie" doesn't have is speed sensitive radio volume control. While I usually like GM products, neither Yukon or Tahoe appeal to me or my wife (we looked at them hard before deciding "Eddie" was a nicer vehicle).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, dump it to bring on the TONKA and some of the other monsters that I've seen lately.
Good for them, I hate PC.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Lessee, my Crew Cab Dually gets 12 highway, is 2 feet wider, and about 2 feet longer, and was my daily driver for 5 years, so where does the word mammoth apply to the
Excursion? Am I biased about large vehicles? YES. Do I think that the Excursion should be dropped? No, I enjoyed looking down at them at a stop light. Should a soccer mom trade in her Honda on one? NO, unless you are a bodyman. Take a ride through any mall parking lot, and check out the damage on the rears of 90% of the SUV's there, it's good for a chuckle.

Only thing I didn't like about the Excursion was that it looked too much like a crew cab Ford pickup with a cap and a 40K+ pricetag....

·
Registered
332 Posts
What are the chances of Ford putting a diesel in an Expedition? The mileage in our Exp. is at best 17mpg driving 75 on the interstate w/no trailer. I agree that the EXcursions are too big, but they had the diesel option that should have got better mileage, but I'm not sure paying the extra 4k is worth it unless you keep it over 80k to 90k miles.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
The Ex. has Plain Jane (dare I say ugly) sheet metal (basically a very large box with slightly rounded corners) and weighs so much that it has *LESS* carrying capacity than the Chevy! Instead of adding useable space Ford choose to adopt the NY approach - building up, these are tall vehicles that carry less and handle worse than the Chevy.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts