Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Rick,
Are all of the listed items in your initial post currently available? Specifically 65/66 front valance and stone guard. I’ll be in Ocala Saturday, but neither item appears on the online catalog.

·
Vendor
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Rick,
Are all of the listed items in your initial post currently available? Specifically 65/66 front valance and stone guard. I’ll be in Ocala Saturday, but neither item appears on the online catalog.
When our truck arrived there for the first load, they filled it with hoods... 64 1/2 and 65-66 hoods.. That was it.

I really can't know what the next trailer-load will be until they load it and bill it. But short term, no, we won't have anything here for you this Saturday.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
When our truck arrived there for the first load, they filled it with hoods...
Every time the bus arrives where I work, I get the same thing - it's full of hoods. (I work at a state prison). Sorry, I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Just placed order for hood for the 65. Timely that I got ready for new hood just as all this came out.

Daniel

·
Registered
34,290 Posts
I've got a number of OT repro parts on Jane that all fit perfectly. I did notice, however, that the metal quality is not nearly as good as the OEM parts - while it is exactly the same thickness, I have dented both my OT repro hood and decklids with just my fingers in normal open/closed operation! And I'm not exactly the Hulk...
This was actually normal for factory-installed 69-70 front fenders.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had planned on getting a new Ford tooling made hood for my '66 from Mustangs Unlimited, since they had a store not far from where my son lives outside Atlanta. I was hoping to pick it up there to avoid the shipping charge. With the opening of the NPD warehouse in Charlotte, I'm wondering if that's why the MU store closed.

Based on this thread I figured I'd better get one while I could, so I ordered one from NPD and just got it yesterday. I paid the $160 shipping from Charlotte to Knoxville, TN. I thought about driving there and picking it up, but wasn't sure it would fit in my 2013 RAV4. I haven't been able to actually look at it yet, but the inner box is pristine and was well packed in the outer box.

·
Vendor
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I had planned on getting a new Ford tooling made hood for my '66 from Mustangs Unlimited, since they had a store not far from where my son lives outside Atlanta. I was hoping to pick it up there to avoid the shipping charge. With the opening of the NPD warehouse in Charlotte, I'm wondering if that's why the MU store closed.

Based on this thread I figured I'd better get one while I could, so I ordered one from NPD and just got it yesterday. I paid the $160 shipping from Charlotte to Knoxville, TN. I thought about driving there and picking it up, but wasn't sure it would fit in my 2013 RAV4. I haven't been able to actually look at it yet, but the inner box is pristine and was well packed in the outer box.
Thank you for the purchase, I hope that the hood meets your expectations.

FWIW, we've been in Charlotte since the early-90's, well before MU ever opened their location in GA.

Yes, a RAV4 may have been a tight-fit, or a no-go trying to get the hood through the rear doors.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
To 69Bossnine....

If I recall in your earlier list, you mentioned you have original 64.5 hoods. Do they have the lips to compensate for the early style HD light buckets, as well? Years ago, I couldn't find one and had to make do with a little more body work to compensate. I think they be rare birds?

·
Vendor
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
To 69Bossnine....

If I recall in your earlier list, you mentioned you have original 64.5 hoods. Do they have the lips to compensate for the early style HD light buckets, as well? Years ago, I couldn't find one and had to make do with a little more body work to compensate. I think they be rare birds?
Yes, they have the correct detail (lips) on the front edge of the hood. But they do not have the same frame that was utilized originally in early-65 production, they utilize the later 1966 frame..

It's a minor detail, and these hoods are as close as you're going to get.... Short of finding an original 64 1/2 hood in workable condition.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
591 Posts
How about shipping the tooling to England like Ford already does with some of their stuff? Some really big presses in Ohio but way overkill for auto body.

To add a little tidbit.. Much of the ford licenced parts are not really original tooling. Many of the injection molds etc are reproduction tools. The reason I know this is because my Uncle was a tool and die in detroit and some of the last projects he did were tail light lens molds for early mustangs the 65-66 being the last tooling he made before retiring in the early 2000s.

He also built the tooling for the pop up roll bar in the convertible. They kept changing the specs on the roll bar that Ford got tired of paying for moving the tooling back and forth that they just had the tool shop produce the part in house so changes to the machine would take less time. Not a big deal considering it was a low unit production part.

·
Vendor
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
How about shipping the tooling to England like Ford already does with some of their stuff? Some really big presses in Ohio but way overkill for auto body.

To add a little tidbit.. Much of the ford licenced parts are not really original tooling. Many of the injection molds etc are reproduction tools. The reason I know this is because my Uncle was a tool and die in detroit and some of the last projects he did were tail light lens molds for early mustangs the 65-66 being the last tooling he made before retiring in the early 2000s.

He also built the tooling for the pop up roll bar in the convertible. They kept changing the specs on the roll bar that Ford got tired of paying for moving the tooling back and forth that they just had the tool shop produce the part in house so changes to the machine would take less time. Not a big deal considering it was a low unit production part.
Original Ford Tooling requires being licensed by Ford in order to possess the tooling and produce from it, BUT, is completely different than a "Ford Licensed" restoration part. The latter is simply a reproduction that bears a Ford trademark, logo or engineering #, such that Ford REQUIRES it to be licensed.

When a part is represented as "Original Ford Tooling", it is just that. When a part is represented as a "Ford Licensed" restoration part, it's a reproduction with detail or form that requires licensing and the good-graces of Ford.

Regarding the England idea, I'd imagine that by the time you add the expenses of getting the tools there, and the expenses of getting the finished product back, and lord knows what the British manufacturers would want for set-up fees and then per-piece production price...

I'm just imagining that the math alone would require a financial masochist to underwrite.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
A car guy with big bucks here in the States, like Jay Leno, needs to take those on as a hobby, so there's no overseas travel/fee/tariffs/taxes/freight/etc.

·
Registered
663 Posts
NPD truly does the most for their customers. An announcement like this and the responses that are coming with it would be completely uncharacteristic of another company, but I'm not surprised to see it coming from Rick!!!

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Mr. S
im not sure what im talking about here and im sure you already thought about it, but just an idea i have.

I also have no idea how big these machines are or what it takes to stamp sheet metal or what the raw materials, on going expenses and labor would cost.

is there a way you can get the license turned over to NPD and get a hold of the machines and sub it out locally someplace for them to do the pressing and manual labor. Then you just ship them to where they need to go. so you stamp an "X" amount of panels just to keep inventory up to par.
when you get down to an "X" number left you stamp some more and just keep enough on hand to handle a decent turnover and not run out of stock

·
Vendor
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Mr. S
im not sure what im talking about here and im sure you already thought about it, but just an idea i have.

I also have no idea how big these machines are or what it takes to stamp sheet metal or what the raw materials, on going expenses and labor would cost.

is there a way you can get the license turned over to NPD and get a hold of the machines and sub it out locally someplace for them to do the pressing and manual labor. Then you just ship them to where they need to go. so you stamp an "X" amount of panels just to keep inventory up to par.
when you get down to an "X" number left you stamp some more and just keep enough on hand to handle a decent turnover and not run out of stock
There is zero possibility of that being feasible. I don't know if y'all realize the size of the presses used to stamp things like hoods and fenders..

Click on this Artiflex link, to see photos of their 2,500-ton press line, and 1,000-ton press line (used for smaller stuff).

ArtiFlex Manufacturing | Photos - Manufacturing & Engineering

The 2,500-ton machines are two stories tall!! I can't even imagine what they cost, or what they cost to break-down and transport and then set back up.

These are not portable machines, or "out-source-able" machines.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
These are not portable machines, or "out-source-able" machines.
Just a "what-if" here - what if the unthinkable happens and some fool (like Hawkeye's suggestion of Leno) should somehow wrangle the tooling from Ford and arrange for another stamping facility to put these parts back in production.. Has NPD taken on an unmitigatable risk that this might happen and reduce the value of those parts already procured by your company, or is there a buy-back arrangement in place in case this does happen?

If that's being nosy just say so! :pirate:

John

·
Registered
591 Posts
Original Ford Tooling requires being licensed by Ford in order to possess the tooling and produce from it, BUT, is completely different than a "Ford Licensed" restoration part. The latter is simply a reproduction that bears a Ford trademark, logo or engineering #, such that Ford REQUIRES it to be licensed.

When a part is represented as "Original Ford Tooling", it is just that. When a part is represented as a "Ford Licensed" restoration part, it's a reproduction with detail or form that requires licensing and the good-graces of Ford.

Regarding the England idea, I'd imagine that by the time you add the expenses of getting the tools there, and the expenses of getting the finished product back, and lord knows what the British manufacturers would want for set-up fees and then per-piece production price...

I'm just imagining that the math alone would require a financial masochist to underwrite.

Rick
NPD

The light lens molds etc were all Ford contracts they did. As to what Ford does with them dunnow. I wonder if he still has any engineering samples he kept from then...

The issue I see isn't so much the press but the fact that it's a multiple press operation. Doing it on one press would be a nightmare of run say 1k parts on the first die then change the press to the second step die and run that 1k through and rinse and repeat. Those die changes would be costly not to mention the damage done to the parts being handled so many times.

My thoughts would be S Korea or India but the latter would be less likely to have anyone there with a large press line for body work. Unfortunately all the big presses and press lines locations are known in the industry so unless there are some old machines that moved to another country I don't see much hope.
However if you could get enough machine time and do one last production run and over produce for every mustang still living and enough for people building new mustangs you could effectively have the whole market and cut out the cheap ones as you could then lower the price but have a better product. All wishful thinking that requires a press line for a while,funding for steel etc and the big issue then becomes storage of a massive amount of bulky sheet metal... And assuming that the dies could even take that beating as I would assume they are in pretty rough shape at this point already.

As to the importation of dies... Goodmark purchased the dies to the hood for 78-88 El Camino/malibu to modify it for a cowl induction hood. How did they get it shipped? That was 20 or so years ago.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just a "what-if" here - what if the unthinkable happens and some fool (like Hawkeye's suggestion of Leno) should somehow wrangle the tooling from Ford and arrange for another stamping facility to put these parts back in production.. Has NPD taken on an unmitigatable risk that this might happen and reduce the value of those parts already procured by your company, or is there a buy-back arrangement in place in case this does happen?
Kinda like asking the guy who lives on top of a mountain what he's doing for flood insurance.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts