Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have stock valve covers and i have a set of roller rockers can i get a spacer so that i don't have to buy taller valve covers?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had looked into this issue a while ago because I have a nice set of "Cobra Powered By Ford" valve covers and I'd like to run roller rockers in the future. From what I read you may be able to get away with removing the baffle inside (there are apparently baffles by Moroso that you can put in the filler tube)and gasket-seal together 2 thick gaskets. I think rockers like the Cranes may offer more clearance. This is only what I have read, so take it with a grain of salt, but it may be worth further investigation.

Matt

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've also heard that works for most applications but not all, and it's probably totally dependent on the type of rockers and fasteners used. For my application the thick gasket and baffle removal wasn't enough, so I went with the Branda spacers. The Branda spacers look a bit rough compared to some of the CNC spacers available, but look just fine once painted black to match my block. I decided to mill mine down to .800" (they were originally ~1.3" tall) which gave me just enough clearance with a standard gasket. In milling them, I found porosity issues with the castings, but it really shouldn't be problematic considering the large pores are in the middle of the gasket surface, and not near a screw-hole or wall. I plan to use RTV to seal fill the holes before I put the spacers on for the final time before the engine goes in the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts