Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted recently about my friend who turned up the heat on his 55 210 chevy car. Our families are going camping together this weekend so that ought to slow him/me down a little. So I went to his house tonight to plan the trip and low and behold..../forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Boxes full of parts!!!! New windshield, heater box rebuild kit, tons of chevy parts! I was shocked. He has placed four orders to my one little piddley one./forums/images/icons/blush.gif And his dash area is almost complete! I'm stalled out on the suspension because of this and that.....so.....the comeback.
"Are you replacing your front end, now that the front end is off?" I ask meekly.
"No, the suspension is ok. I'll drive it as is." he replied.
"What about the cracked rubber bushings?" I grasped hoping to stall his project further....
"The rubber centers are ok." he flashes back...... Shoot!

Grasping for straws, I noticed his door hinges had a little slop in them.
"How bout re-bushing those hinges?" I tried again.
"Nope. The doors align perfectly." His clincher: "Besides, I'm building a DAILY DRIVER so I can drive it sooner"
"A (gulp) daily driver?", I swallowed.... "Sooner?"
"Yeah, I plan on having it on the road next spring."
Yikes!! Next Spring!!!/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Mine will still be on jacktands next spring!!! "Well," I weakly replied, "Mine will be a driver too......" .
"Yeah, but I will be glossing over some of the details to get mine out on the road sooner", he finished.

I still have that squirrel cage and rubber band though. Get the coupe on all fours and wind it up. Could beat him yet!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Go, Dan, go. In my youth I had 3 55 chevys, I know all about those front ends. The first big pothole he hits with those worn out bushings and he'll remember your remark and wish his car was still on the jackstands. By all means, don't get pressured into taking any shortcuts, its better to stick to your plans and finish the car on your scheduel. Daily driver or not (and they ALL should be drivers!) a car should be done right, most of all the daily drivers.

P.S. have a good time on the camping trip!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dan, reminds me of the old story of the tortoise and the hare. We all know who won that race. Stick to your plan. He'll be back redoing things while your out enjoying your car. Just honk and wave as you drive by.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Went through the same thing with my buddy and his 69 RS/SS.
He did his car, wrecked it, re-did it, before mine ever touched the ground. He even admits my BOSS is done the way he wishes he would have done his. I wouldn't trade him for 3 of them bow-ties. I know it's hard not to hurry because drivin' the car is what you want to do, not work on it forever. Your on the right road though, you'll be kickin' his butt at the car shows and cruise nights in a year or two or three. LOL. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Dan
You made your own point ,,all the things you pointed out on his car that are still wrong ,WON'T BE on yours as you are thoroughly going through your car,,it is slow ,but it is sure nice when people pick up your photo album and say "you did all this too your car!!" HANG in there

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a lot of fun though. My friend will do a nice job on his chevy too. I really don't take the "competition" seriously. After all, him and I are striving for different goals. Mine too will be a driver of some sort, though not a daily driven car. I already have the plan in the works to add an extra garage stall to the house to accomodate the mustang. Becuase of potential storage and garaging problems at the house, I would gladly trade a year of restoration time on the stang for a garage bay in which to work on it. I'll have to get approval from SWMBO at some future date. To add a garage bay the way I want would require about $10-15K investment if I build it myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts