Vintage Mustang Forums banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Really excited for the movie to come out next Friday and love the trailers, hopefully the movie is as at least somewhat decent as Matt Damon and Christian Bale are both really good actors. I saw a no-no in the trailer when Matt Damon is sitting/leaning on the drivers side door of the Shelby Cobra... if that was an original and took place back in the 1960's the door would've been made out of aluminum and wouldn't it have dented or destroyed the door if it had 200lbs worth of someone leaning or sitting on it? I'm not sure how thick the aluminum was but I can't imagine it was that thick if they were trying to make the car as light as possible.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Really excited for the movie to come out next Friday and love the trailers, hopefully the movie is as at least somewhat decent as Matt Damon and Christian Bale are both really good actors. I saw a no-no in the trailer when Matt Damon is sitting/leaning on the drivers side door of the Shelby Cobra... if that was an original and took place back in the 1960's the door would've been made out of aluminum and wouldn't it have dented or destroyed the door if it had 200lbs worth of someone leaning or sitting on it? I'm not sure how thick the aluminum was but I can't imagine it was that thick if they were trying to make the car as light as possible.
I think there will have to be some liberties on cinematography just to make it watch in a way we are accustomed to watching movies, but they have went on and on about how as much as possible they have not used cgi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think there will have to be some liberties on cinematography just to make it watch in a way we are accustomed to watching movies, but they have went on and on about how as much as possible they have not used cgi.

Oh yes. At the end of the day it's a movie. I'm sure they used a Shelby Cobra kit car with a fiberglass body that could support the weight of an adult sitting or leaning against the door. I'm thinking a good deal of damage would've been done had it been an original car with an aluminum body and an adult sitting or leaning up against it.

·
Dimples
3,516 Posts
Something tells me that those aluminum cars are more sturdy than you think.

Funny enough, it appears that Carroll had a habit of sitting on all of his cars. There are lots of pictures of him sitting on/leaning on pretty much every kind of car he touched.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Something tells me that those aluminum cars are more sturdy than you think.

Funny enough, it appears that Carroll had a habit of sitting on all of his cars. There are lots of pictures of him sitting on/leaning on pretty much every kind of car he touched.
And back in the day the Cobras were not "special".... yet.... yes special in a way that they were quick and fast and cutting edge and all that, but if it broke, they just fixed it and moved on. They were not trying to preserve them for the collectors, just trying to win races.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wish I could fit in a cobra!!!

I am 6'6" and you can make a Cobra fit ("i'm not talking about chopping up and original though!). I don't have one yet, but when I toured many Cobra manufactures in 2008, I was impressed with ERA and their tall person mods. Factory Five is pretty easy to modify as you build as well. I settled on Hurricane Motorsports and actually called to give a deposit and the owner actually told me no! He was going out of business due to the recession. It spooked me and I moved on to other projects. Now that I am doing the Mustang I am second guessing a "kit" car, but I think at some point I'll build one.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I recently heard an interview with Matt Damon on the radio. He said the insurance companies wouldn't allow the actors to drive fast at all and, in most of the scenes, a professional hidden inside a stunt car was actually doing the driving. It's not like the old days with "Bullitt" and "Grand Prix".

My Mustang club is currently trying to put together a movie night so we can see it together. We'll see how that goes here just before Thanksgiving.

Surprisingly, my son and daughter "The Artisans", who typically only appreciate independent films, saw "Ford V Ferrari" last weekend they both LOVED it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just FYI: The other VMF Ford vs Ferrari thread in general discussion...

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I saw the movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Saw the movie this past Thursday. Great flick and don't let the 2 1/2 hr. run time scare you, the time flew by. SWMBO and I went with our best friends. The wives enjoyed it as much as the guys did. Highly recommended. Dave R.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just got back from fighting traffic at Northpark Mall in Dallas to see this flick and it was well work it! Fantastic movie! Im not a Matt Damon fan but he kicked ass as a young CS.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's a fun watch. Not sure how the GT40s magically appeared. Great seeing Cobras, GT40s and Mustangs of many sorts on the big screen.

There's a cool part in the movie where "Have Love Will Travel" by The Sonics is prominently featured. (If you're not familiar with them, they practically invented garage rock. They were punk in 1964.)

I think the VERY BEST MUSTANG SONG OUT THERE is "Boss Hoss" by The Sonics. "Mustang Sally" ain't got NOTHIN' on "Boss Hoss". Check it out! Too bad it wasn't in the movie too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I saw the movie earlier this last week and loved every minute of it. Will likely see it again in the theater and buy it when it comes out on DVD

·
Registered
226 Posts
FYI - A new documentary has been released on Netflix, it is called "Shelby American"

101 - 120 of 133 Posts