Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm curious...
(1) Do they even mention Denny Hulme, the other driver who tag-teamed driving with Miles?
(2) Do they mention that the Miles/Hulme team was not proclaimed the winning team because of technicality and the push by Ford marketing to have Miles slow down so all three Fords could complete in a "photo finish"?
1.) Yes, in passing.
2.) Yes.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm curious...
(1) Do they even mention Denny Hulme, the other driver who tag-teamed driving with Miles?
(2) Do they mention that the Miles/Hulme team was not proclaimed the winning team because of technicality and the push by Ford marketing to have Miles slow down so all three Fords could complete in a "photo finish"?
NO SPOILERS!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks! Sounds like the movie is dramatic while still sticking to history and eliminating the PC BS endemic in a lot of current Hollywood movies.
I wasn't there, nor am I a well versed student of the events and personalities involved, but given what I do know and what I saw in the movie I think that would be a fair assessment.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went with my wife and our youngest son and I thought the movie was great. I thought Matt Damon did a great job as Shelby, not that I would know any different. Anyway I was entertained and enjoyed the story about Ford getting into racing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just saw it... great movie! Damon was much better than I thought he would be and Bale was excellent, as expected. Looks like they stuck pretty close to the actual history. This really should win some Oscars (unless some of the Hollywood elitists deep-six it because it doesn't check off enough of their boxes).

Aside: And since this is the Vintage Mustang Forum.... here is a clip of Christian Bale with some Vintage Mustangs from one of his earlier movies (IMO, his best)... although for some reason he apparently thinks they're made by Cadillac ;-)

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just saw it... great movie! Damon was much better than I thought he would be and Bale was excellent, as expected. Looks like they stuck pretty close to the actual history. This really should win some Oscars (unless some of the Hollywood elitists deep-six it because it doesn't check off enough of their boxes).

Aside: And since this is the Vintage Mustang Forum.... here is a clip of Christian Bale with some Vintage Mustangs from one of his earlier movies (IMO, his best)... although for some reason he apparently thinks they're made by Cadillac ;-)

HORSEpoooooowwwwweeeeerrr

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
Any one else notice that they had Ken in the wrong car at the end of the movie i the crash scene ?
Yes. Would have had to photo shop that for sure.... never seen a running J-car.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Any one else notice that they had Ken in the wrong car at the end of the movie i the crash scene ?
Spoiler Alert!!!

:cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
For those who are worried about SPOILERS...
(1) Stop reading this post
(2) Stop reading this thread... all you're probably going to get out of it at this point is "Go see the movie, it's great!"
(3) Go see the effing movie :)

Personally, before I went to see the movie I watched some Youtube docs. I found the movie more interesting when I understood what actually went on. It made some things clear to me (not a racing fan, per se) like why Ken Miles was lounging around the pit for half the race. Anyway, I found this doc to be especially interesting...

As well as this chart (notice the lap count at race end)...

IMO, one of the most interesting dynamics that played out during the race was between the three players: (1) Ford (2) Shelby Automotive and (3) the two lead driving teams (BTW: 3 Kiwis and a Brit). Once it was clear that Ford was hands down going to win the race unless it just screwed up (see the chart), the goals of the three players diverged. Ford wanted an "all Ford win and photo finish". Shelby wanted a Shelby Automotive win. Both wanted no wrecks (esp of the two lead Shelby Fords, the third car was a Ford but not a Shelby). But the drivers, of course, wanted to "win".. to be the "fastest and the first-ist". In the middle of the doc Chris Amon implies that he (and McLaren) were leading when they were told (via signs) to slow down. Amon slowed down but Miles did not and so took the lead (per Amon). So, I guess it will really remain a mystery who would have won the "race" if they'd been allowed to really race. Unfortunately, Amon was the only one remaining alive when the doc was made, so none of the other drivers could comment on this. The rest of the doc strongly implies that Miles would have won. Personally, I understand Ford's point of view. They footed the (very big) development bill and this was an "endurance race" to not only demonstrate performance but the reliability of Ford products. Given the twin goals of the race that the cars both (1) survive and (2) win I think they were justified in slowing down the cars. But... I'm interested, what do you guys-n-gals think ??

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Never. You race to the finish. Ford would have still finished 1-2-3.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You race to the finish, but if you're a professional race car driver I suppose you need to balance that against doing what the people paying you to drive their cars tell you to do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think that Ford (and possibly Shelby also?) was worried about Miles/Hulme vs McLauren/Amon having a wreck in a flat out race or at least one or both might suffer some failure... Gurney/Grant (Ford/Shelby) had already blown a head gasket by over-driving their car. Of course, having said that the third car (a Ford but not a Shelby) would still have won. But it this case it would have been Ford - Porche - Porche and no Shelby...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just saw the movie - loved it.
1. You do what your boss tells you to do. The person paying the bills gets to dictate the outcome. Like it, or not.
2. Ford wanted the publicity and didn't care which car (or driver) "won." It is still one of the most iconic racing photos ever so Ford brass got it right. Few people cared (or even knew) about the drivers but most people knew that Ford did something special.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Interesting chart. Can you imagine doing 210mph and passing a Sprite doing, at best, 105mph?!
I had forgotten that the famous Holman and Moody team didn't do so well, with Mark Donohue's car dropping after 5 hrs and Mario Andretti's after 8 hrs. So much for those stock car boys - big difference between 500 miles in 4 hrs on the high banks and ~3,000 miles over 24 hrs on "country roads."
Gulf racing (think blue and orange) had a facility outside of Pittsburgh. The story was that when it rained at LeMans it "rained" in the dyno room at the facility. Apparently they had a fully mapped engine and brake program that duplicated LeMans and tested the engine/chassis for 48 hrs before they were satisfied with the endurance of the parts.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts