Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Funny, but the thing that I found most bothersome (it's a fact and not a spoiler) is that Shelby is already building and selling Cobras when Iacocca comes to S.A. to introduce himself. Bass ackwards of the way it happened.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Funny, but the thing that I found most bothersome (it's a fact and not a spoiler) is that Shelby is already building and selling Cobras when Iacocca comes to S.A. to introduce himself. Bass ackwards of the way it happened.
I took it that he was selling cobras. That's why Shelby mentioned paying for the engines that ford gave him

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The point I'm making is that it was Shelby who asked Lee for the engines in the first place. So to have Iacocca introducing himself to Shel when Cobras are already for sale was not possible. But maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment. But regardless, it's just a movie. And I thought it very entertaining.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Saw it last night. Knowing the story, i was a little disappointed also at how much of the story was left out and the liberties that were taken. The fact that it was three pivotal races including 66, not just two etc. I also think they did a disservice to the drivers by not showing ALL the classes of cars on the track. As someone else said, threading through the Triumphs, AHs etc was a definite hazard. As my old man would say, its like driving through a parking lot at 120 mph. But overall, it was a wonderful experience.

I watched 64, 65, and 66 LM with my dad who raced my old '57 Triumph and heard the entire story of the GT40 and virtually every car on the track from him each year. As a Triumph driver, he was as interested in the smaller cars as the GT40s. At 6 years old he used to parade me around all his friends at the race track because I could tell them what every car they pointed out including the difference between an XK120 and XK140, even the obscure European cars like Berkeleys, AC Bristols etc. I remember hearing the TV turning on and coming out of my room at the crack of dawn to see my dad excitedly waiting for the tubes to warm up to see who got eliminated overnight each year. He was so sad when the last 40 dropped out in 65 and beside himself in 66 with the big win. I was also quite excited (5th grade) because of his excitement and three years of back story as well as growing up on race tracks from as long as I could remember. From my point of view, not being at the track and seeing it on TV, it was like watching paint dry for 23 hours - but hey, talk about a bonding experience with the old man...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Saw it last night. Knowing the story, i was a little disappointed also at how much of the story was left out and the liberties that were taken...
I was disappointed that they did not include a bit more of Denny Hulme in the movie as he drove half the race. And some intra-team rivalry between Miles/Hulme and McLaren/Amos would have added to the excitement. But to accentuate the drama, keep things less confusing, and to fit into a 2.5hr movie they had to take some liberties, and they did a great job. I'm just hoping that they do a "director's cut" with more detail...

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I thought the movie was great, and so did my wife!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Watched it Thanksgiving Eve, my new favorite movie! When it comes out on DVD it's mine. I may just play it on loop in my shop.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It was entertaining. Was I hearing things when they said they put a Y block in the gt40

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
It was entertaining. Was I hearing things when they said they put a Y block in the gt40

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I didn't catch that. But, I spent some time explaining things to the wife and may have missed it.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I didn't even finish reading this entire thread when I shouted out to my wife 'we need to see a movie this weekend!'

I told her what it was and she did her 'sounds awesome' in her very dry sarcastic voice.

"A lot of guys on VMF said their wives really liked it too,' I said.

So guess what. We went tonight, and I could tell by her body language and posture that was was engaged. She wasn't sitting how she normally does for a movie she doesn't like. I also caught her CRYING at two different times. The first time was when Miles was having the conversation with his son at the track, just the two of them. The second time was when Shelby was having the conversation with Miles' son after his death.

She said she liked it after it was over. Then we went home and watched the entire Shelby documentary on Netflix and she watched attentively through that too! We both had fun recounting the events we saw in the movie and the things that were different.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
SPOILER ALERT !

Though a minor detail, I couldn't confirm anywhere that they actually changed the complete front suspension assembly during a pit stop as shown. They did have "quick release" calipers and rotors to allow the pad & disc replacement, but that's all I could find. It was a good movie, though they did the typical movie BS of them "hitting the gas" or downshifting on the straights for more acceleration. When racing, you're already at WOT on the straights !

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
SPOILER ALERT !

Though a minor detail, I couldn't confirm anywhere that they actually changed the complete front suspension assembly during a pit stop as shown. They did have "quick release" calipers and rotors to allow the pad & disc replacement, but that's all I could find. It was a good movie, though they did the typical movie BS of them "hitting the gas" or downshifting on the straights for more acceleration. When racing, you're already at WOT on the straights !
There was a scene during the LeMans race where they changed it out. A race official said they couldn't do that and Shelby (Damon) had the book in his hand and said 'show me where in this book it says we cannot do this.' He said they could replace parts and the assembly the replaced was an entire 'part.'

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I didn't even finish reading this entire thread when I shouted out to my wife 'we need to see a movie this weekend!'

I told her what it was and she did her 'sounds awesome' in her very dry sarcastic voice.

"A lot of guys on VMF said their wives really liked it too,' I said.

So guess what. We went tonight, and I could tell by her body language and posture that was was engaged. She wasn't sitting how she normally does for a movie she doesn't like. I also caught her CRYING at two different times. The first time was when Miles was having the conversation with his son at the track, just the two of them. The second time was when Shelby was having the conversation with Miles' son after his death.

She said she liked it after it was over. Then we went home and watched the entire Shelby documentary on Netflix and she watched attentively through that too! We both had fun recounting the events we saw in the movie and the things that were different.
Kind of same here. She made the remark more than once that it was really good for a "car" movie, maybe she was expecting Fast And The Furious XII or such. She was definitely gripping the armrest a couple times during the movie.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
There was a scene during the LeMans race where they changed it out. A race official said they couldn't do that and Shelby (Damon) had the book in his hand and said 'show me where in this book it says we cannot do this.' He said they could replace parts and the assembly the replaced was an entire 'part.'
That's the part I was talking about. I don't think that was actually done in real life. Besides, I can't see how it would be faster than just a pad/disc change.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
SPOILER ALERT !

It was a good movie, though they did the typical movie BS of them "hitting the gas" or downshifting on the straights for more acceleration. When racing, you're already at WOT on the straights !
I HATE this part.
Makes movies so not real to me.
I notice it and it bugs me every time they do it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I HATE this part.
Makes movies so not real to me.
I notice it and it bugs me every time they do it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I was watching it I was thinking 'damn, how many gears do these race cars have? I think he's shifted 5 times now to go faster.'

But I also hate the fake gun sound effects and muzzle flashes, and shooting from the hip. Sometimes you have to extend your disbelief to have a good time with a movie.

The WORST I have ever seen was in one of the early Walking Dead seasons where they get to the CDC and the 'scientist' is looking at a DNA double helix through a microscope (LOL) and suddenly the whole thing just unravels and he's like 'damn, the cure didn't work.' But it's very difficult for me to watch science movies in general. I wish somebody would hire me as a scientific consultant for Hollywood.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
That's the part I was talking about. I don't think that was actually done in real life. Besides, I can't see how it would be faster than just a pad/disc change.
In the documentary, I saw a quick release brake rotor/caliper assembly. They just slid the entire thing onto the spindle and there must have been a brake line with some kind of quick release coupler. I don't know how you'd bleed them, unless they were mechanical brakes and not hydraulic.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts