Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I wish somebody would hire me as a scientific consultant for Hollywood.
Nah. They'd just ignore most of what you tell them. Then you'd not only not like the fake stuff that spoils the whole scene (and sometimes the whole movie), but you'd ALSO be pissed that they asked you how to do it, you told them, and they screwed it up anyway.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Kind of same here. She made the remark more than once that it was really good for a "car" movie, maybe she was expecting Fast And The Furious XII or such. She was definitely gripping the armrest a couple times during the movie.
In the case of my wife, I know she was also watching it through the lense of my SCJ. She knows that was a stock drag car from the factory, is 'fast,' and I KNOW it gave her a greater appreciation for that (evidenced by the questions afterwards, 'do you just want to go home and work on your Mach now?' 'is that what motor your super cobra jet has?' etc) after watching Ford's trials and tribulations of getting to a high performance car, and the design considerations.

Moral of the story: it was a proud moment for me.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Nah. They'd just ignore most of what you tell them. Then you'd not only not like the fake stuff that spoils the whole scene (and sometimes the whole movie), but you'd ALSO be pissed that they asked you how to do it, you told them, and they screwed it up anyway.
Sounds like the job of a regular scientist!

·
Registered
186 Posts
In the documentary, I saw a quick release brake rotor/caliper assembly. They just slid the entire thing onto the spindle and there must have been a brake line with some kind of quick release coupler. I don't know how you'd bleed them, unless they were mechanical brakes and not hydraulic.
My initial Googling found this:https://forums.autosport.com/topic/212719-gt40-brake-changing/

It doesn’t sound like it’s been truly verified. I suspect it was a quick change disk. Instead of the disk riding on the hub (like our Mustangs and many cars) the disk was held on like the drums, just sitting over the hub. Perhaps on studs to locate?

Unbolt the caliper, perhaps rotating on one of the bolts, pull off the disk and replace. Pads at the same time.

I don’t think they replaced the upright like what I think was inferred in the film.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Finally saw the movie this past weekend, I thought it was good. Went with my wife, daughter and another couple. Everyone enjoyed it. Of course they took some artistic liberties and I’m sure Bebe’s family is pretty pissed at how he was portrayed. To be fair he did screw Miles, but I don’t think he was as much of a dick as the movie made him seem. Especially the part about Miles not driving in ‘65. I also thought Matt Damon did a good job of portraying Shelby. I know Phill Remington designed some sort of quick release brake system so they could change the discs out pretty quick, but don’t know more than that.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Finally saw the movie this past weekend, I thought it was good. Went with my wife, daughter and another couple. Everyone enjoyed it. Of course they took some artistic liberties and I’m sure Bebe’s family is pretty pissed at how he was portrayed. To be fair he did screw Miles, but I don’t think he was as much of a dick as the movie made him seem. Especially the part about Miles not driving in ‘65. I also thought Matt Damon did a good job of portraying Shelby. I know Phill Remington designed some sort of quick release brake system so they could change the discs out pretty quick, but don’t know more than that.
Besides the quick release mounting, there is mention of some cars pulling a vacuum on the master cylinder to retract the caliper pistons so new pads can be fitted.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I'm surprised it's kept it's 98% audience rating... difficult to do for any "car" movie.

Attachments

81 - 89 of 89 Posts