Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Corporate culture, often from the top down, determines how factory defects are handled. About 29 years ago I bought a new import at the beginning of the model year. The fuel gauge was DOA and the dealer knew it. Prior to signing the purchase contract I was told that the fuel sending unit had been redesigned for that model year and none of them worked worth a lick. I was further advised that the replacement fuel sender was not yet available and I would be contacted once it is in stock. True to their word, the Service Manager called when the new sending unit was in stock. I took the car in and they fixed it. When I picked up the car, on the front seat was one of those huge coffee table books with lots of pretty pictures and a "sorry for the inconvenience" note. When I dug around, I found that Barnes and Noble was selling that book at a retail price of $100. Nice gesture.

Fast forward about 5 years and 30,000 miles, and the dual mass flywheel had failed. The factory power train warranty expired at 4 years. My dealer Shop Foreman told me that the manufacturer has been reviewing these failures on a case by case basis and he would call corporate to see what might be possible. Later in the day, The Shop Foreman called me to say that corporate would cover parts (about $1000) but I was on my own as far as labor. I next asked the Shop Foreman what the logic was in providing a "box lunch" in parts without installation. He couldn't think of a logical reason and suggested I call corporate directly to ask. I did. After a cordial conversation with the corporate guy in which we talked about my car, and its history, he paused and then said, "we can cover the labor as well". Note, labor is a significant part of that repair. I thanked him and scheduled the repair. All in all a fairly painless experience. Kudo's to the manufacturer for their thoughtful way of dealing with "warranty" repairs.

·
Registered
786 Posts
No doubt there are some stand up dealers and corporate guys. Just a shame it’s more miss than hit, at least in my experience. Definitely worth it to seek out a dealer you like that takes care of you. I feel fortunate the GMC dealer I bought my Duramax from is a good one and has a diesel tech and trans tech onsite. They seem to go out of their way to keep me happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is why I am not happy.
I have contacted Ford.They are processing my complaint. We will see what they do.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's been a while, so I don't recall the details, but the valve cover gasket started leaking badly in my X3. To change it requires removing the intake manifold and then some. It was an $800+ job paid by the extended warranty. All the time I'm thinking about changing a valve cover gasket on my classic Mustang with a $10 part and 30 min. of time (if that). Oh, and the electric water pump in my wife's 325 went bad, that was >$1k.
PS No more BMWs. Great driver's car, incredibly expensive.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It's been a while, so I don't recall the details, but the valve cover gasket started leaking badly in my X3. To change it requires removing the intake manifold and then some. It was an $800+ job paid by the extended warranty. All the time I'm thinking about changing a valve cover gasket on my classic Mustang with a $10 part and 30 min. of time (if that). Oh, and the electric water pump in my wife's 325 went bad, that was >$1k.
PS No more BMWs. Great driver's car, incredibly expensive.
No doubt! Road raced a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V for a few years and blew the motor at Road America. Pulled it myself along with the trans and replaced them both myself. After destroying my hands and arms due to the lack of access to anything it was a pure joy to work on my 66 Mustang!

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
2012 Hyundai Sonata, best car we've ever owned, ran it for 128k FLAWLESS miles until the engine blew up. Alabama assembly plant didn't wash millings away from crank shafts adequately, causing manufacturer recall on these engines. Hyundai extended warranty to 10 years after date of purchase or 120,000 miles. Unfortunately our car had 160,000 miles when the engine grenaded.

"No problem,' Hyundai said. We'll replace it anyway. So we got a new engine in our car, with a $5500 tab in which we didn't pay a penny. It was a fuss free as it could have been. We dropped it off at dealership, they took care of everything with Hyundai, and provided us a free rental in the meantime.

The American car companies whine incessantly about how they're losing grip to the imports. Compare the standard warranties offered by both, and then compare the way the domestic vs. imports stand behind their cars, and it's no wonder.

Suffice to say, we will be staying with Hyundai after seeing how they stand behind their product.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
yeah something not adding up. maybe the biller keyed it in wrong and no one had the brains to second check the billing code

no way $330 for labor to install a hose. Dealer get about $90 a hour around here. how long would it take since the hose was already off the car for the WP R&Rs

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't call customer service. Write a professional letter to Ford Customer Service. They will look into it for you. I had a transmission go bad. When I called the rep on the phone said there was nothing they could do. I wrote a letter to corporate customer service. They called me with in a couple of days and resolved the issue to my satisfaction.

Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Which engine was this out of curiosity? The v6, the v8?(don't think they were offering the 4 cylinder turbo yet in 2014)

·
Registered
96 Posts
"It's been a while, so I don't recall the details, but the valve cover gasket started leaking badly in my X3. To change it requires removing the intake manifold and then some. It was an $800+ job paid by the extended warranty. All the time I'm thinking about changing a valve cover gasket on my classic Mustang with a $10 part and 30 min. of time (if that). Oh, and the electric water pump in my wife's 325 went bad, that was >$1k.
PS No more BMWs. Great driver's car, incredibly expensive."

This reminds me of my ex-wife and her BMW. When we split, she got the 1 year old BMW. She would take it into the dealer or the local BMW independent for service and it seemed that every time in, it cost her $2000. Within 2 years the driveshaft and the radiator needed replacing. It didn't take long for her to say "enough" She dumped it at a significant "discount" for a Lexus and never looked back.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Good news.
It took a moment. Today my wife got a call from Ford Customer service.
It seems they agreed the hose should have been covered as well as the water pump. They are going to cover it under warranty.
The dealership will be sending us a refund check.
Thank you Ford Customer Service. Now I am happy again.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts