Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone had posted the question, if Ford ever made a run at Indy racing back in the day. I thought that they had made the effort and after getting out some back issues of Hot Rod I found the answer. Yes, a unique intake & exhaust 4 cam, 32 valve V8!! . I have listed a bunch of back issues on e hey . The number for that question is # 3545015391, the year was 1964 and the Mustang was poised to change automobile history. With that said I think Ford did not need to chase the Indy dream!! :)

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Hrm... i dunno if this is spam or not.

Anyways, interesting notes about that v8 are that the exhaust exits out toward the lifter valley. Also I believe they made single turbocharged versions of this too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My intent was not to try to plug the sale it was to answer the question poised..

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Ford officially went to Indy in 1963 with an aluminum version of our beloved small block Ford engine. At that time it was known as the Fairlane V-8. It was installed in a Lotus designed just for this race, and really started the rear engine revolution. Even though it was a production based, push rod, carbureted engine, running on gas; it was NOT allowed any displacement advantage (like so often done in later years). The two cars entered finished 2nd (Clark)and 7th (Gurney). Clark may have even won, except for some late race politics. The push rod Chevies didn't do anything memorable. In 1964, Ford further developed the engine by adding dual overhead cams and switching to fuel injection. IIRC, 1964 was a tragic race besides the Fords not winning. In 1965, the Ford DOHC Indy engine went on to win (Clark). After that, the engine enjoyed many other wins at Indy and other races. Eventually, the rights to the engine were transferred to A.J. Foyt and was known as a "Foyt". As the years passed, rules at Indy were changed, and the Ford/Foyt engine was gradually retired. Cosworth, along with Ford had developed the winningest Formula I engine in the 60s (no relation to the Indy engine) and it just so happened that this engine could be adapted to the new rules. Ford didn't want to get involved with this effort, so Cosworth adapted the Ford Formula I engine to turbo charging on their own, and called it simply a "Cosworth". Oddly enough, you would often see the Indy Cosworth with the old "F O R D" lettered cam covers from the Formula I engine. This engine went on to dominate Indy for years. Sometimes this engine is confused with the earlier Indy Ford engine of the 60s. Now, Cosworth is owned by Ford; yet has just began supplying Indy engines to Chevrolet. The Chevrolet engine turned out to be a dog this year, so Cosworth is supplying the GEN-IV engine to them. This was an engine developed several years ago for Ford in anticipation of CART going to a 3.5 liter formula. Since Cart delayed the change, the engine was mothballed until now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts