Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! Much better than the Cobra concept, IMHO GR-1 Concept Car

Sorry if this is a repost, I didn't see any existing threads on this one.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yep, that is a much better aesthetic package than the new Cobra.

The Cobra misses the design mark in many locations. It really misses the bulding essence of the lates 60's cobra and turns it into this car that is basically a box with some curves in it and hard lines and creases where it really doesnt belong. The front of the cobra is horrible, the rear needs improvement and the sides just loose all of what the original car was all about. Ford should have called someone in to take a look at it who's eyes were fresh. A little time in the studio and it could have been a much better car. But the name will sell it in probably lesser popularity than the GT.

This GR is a much better aesthetic package. I would bet it sits on the same chassis as the Cobra so ford doesnt have to redesign it. Basically think of it as a sports car chassis with swappable body panels. Looks a little like a viper from the front and side, looks a little like a cobra, looks a little like a BMW Z8.

Here too, I think cutting the body in more where the doors meet the B-pilar and jamb into more of a Wasp waist like a woman in a tight corsette will add much more of a sleeky feminine sex appeal and more masculinity through bulging rear fenders.

Although the front is really clean that nose cone line really elongates and detaches the front fascia from the front fenders and the hood; bad choice. I think dropping the hood line and holding the high fender crease will really tie that big mouth into the car better while at the same time they should make the hood a part of the nose to clean up that odd vertical assembly line (more like the viper and vette with their hood designs which lack that detaching vertical line). At the same time those fog light that look like an afterthough will wind up finding their way into a better location.

The double scoops on the side are gawdy and ricer. Why not one big elegant cut.

I can see what ford is trying to do, it is make a car that is different. But the ford designers really need to start looking really hard at, possibly critiquing, the lines they are creating and do what the car needs not so much what they want to do. Putting personal wants over actual design needs are the failure of many designs.

Case in Point, the new mustang. I could rant on that for an hour. The car is too tall, too wide, too boxy, yet it sweeps and hard edges that confuse the eye into making it look longer and leaner. Just plain dumb in my designing mind and eye. They had the chance to design a good car. PRoblem is they dont have enough of fresh critical eyes looking at their designs.

What it takes is someone with foresight to study the car.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It looks like GT and an Austin Martin mixed togethere....I kinda like it...it's growing on me a bit.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Hmm, from just those two pics it looks the spawn of a viper and a 280ZX IMO but I like it. I am sure if it is built it will only be a resemblance of the concept car anyway.

So which do you build or do you build both or neither?

Shelby sure knows how to make money doesn't he? ::

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
THAT IS A HOT CAR!!! It really does it for me. I'm sure if they every do produce it that it will be priced way out of my range.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I'm thinking Cobra Daytona with a GT-40 front end. I like it and it's interesting, but I wish Ford would come up with something new instead of basing everything on something old.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's a cool car but it does not say Shelby to me. It looks more like a freaking Aston Martin.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I like it. I had a concept picture on my desktop at work for about the past 6 months. However, we just changed over to a general system that does not allow changes to the background, bummer.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Looks like an aston martin with hints of GT...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I think they're talking to the wrong ghost; should be Alejandro de Tomaso behind this, not Shelby. Compare the GR-1 concept
http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8233_image.jpg
to the '69 Mangusta:
http://www.allsportauto.com/photoautre2/detomaso/mangusta/1969_detomaso_mangusta_08_m.jpg

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
is that supposed to be like the daytona to the new cobra concept ? as someone said it looks very much like a coupe version of the concept cobra with the pointy gt frontend.

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
well I know I won't buy it unless they make it a convertible,lol

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
wow, I just found out my keyboard doesn't work too well with drool all over it!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I like it for the most part, but it kinda reminds me of a 60's kit car called the Jamaican ... (not that thats a bad thing)[quote}Except the fact that the Jamaican was designed to bolt onto a 2nd Gen CORVETTE chassis.::

1 - 20 of 22 Posts