Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I introduced myself in the new member's thread, so I'll be posting all pictures relating to my mustang project here.

Introduction

As I mentioned in the previous thread, I finally scored a 1968 Mustang. It has a clean title, and I've insured and registered it with antique tags. I did manage to get the original motor running, so at this time I'm not interested in changing anything with the motor or transmission.

Where she sat

Mustang_1.jpg

The day I got her home

Mustang_3.jpg

Mustang_4.jpg

Under the hood before the work began

Mustang_7.jpg

Mustang_8.jpg

·
Registered
1968 Mustang
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I revisited this thread today at 06/21/2020, and all of my photos have been deleted for some reason.

I flushed the coolant system, changed the oil and filter, replaced the radiator, thermostat, points and condenser, and fuel pump, and I rebuilt the carburetor. There were some wires behind the instruments that shorted out when energized, so I repaired them. The car starts and runs using the original key and ignition.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Coming along !!

Reactions: Fordy

·
Registered
1968 Mustang
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I revisited this thread today at 06/21/2020, and all of my photos have been deleted for some reason.

The new fuel lines arrived a day after the tank and clutch bushing kit. It was nice out today, so I decided to try to replace the lines and remove the old exhaust system. After removing the old lines, I quickly realized the new ones weren't going to work. They are a smaller diameter, which may cause a fuel delivery issue in the future, possibly years from now if I decided to install a bigger engine. Also, the front section is bent differently. The old front section goes through the inner fender into the engine compartment. The new front section is bent to hug the sub-frame underneath and runs straight into the steering gearbox. The description of the lines and tag are clearly labeled to fit a 67-70 6-cylinder. I've contacted CJ Pony parts to have them returned.

On a more positive note, I did get the old exhaust removed. I just had to cut a few brackets loose and the rear section that goes over the axle. I also got a picture of the engine compartment after finding the original air cleaner and putting it on (no filter or screw to tighten it down yet).

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,303 Posts
Nice

Reactions: Fordy

·
Registered
1968 Mustang
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

I've been having a VERY hard time getting CJ Pony Parts on the phone to speak with them about these fuel lines. I've also sent them an email and no response after 24 hours. Their customer service doesn't seem to be very good.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,303 Posts
I've been having a VERY hard time getting CJ Pony Parts on the phone to speak with them about these fuel lines. I've also sent them an email and no response after 24 hours. Their customer service doesn't seem to be very good.
I guess you're new here? Cj has a so so reputation for customer service. Next time you need to order parts NPD aka national parts depot is the only way to go. Even if it costs more it's worth it.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I'll definitely check NPD. I just got an email from CJ Pony Parts telling me I'm responsible for return shipping. That definitely put me off, considering the part is wrong even though it's clearly labeled for my year make and model. If I'm able to provide proof that that the part is wrong, they should be responsible for return shipping. I can't afford to keep returning bad parts!

·
Registered
1968 Mustang
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The fuel line issue seems to be resolved after sending several emails back and forth with Cliff Schulz at Classic Tube. New stainless lines are on the way. However, I still need to ship the CJ fuel lines back.

I ordered new fender aprons, battery tray, and radiator support. Work has begun on replacing all that stuff. I took pictures when test fitting, and you'll see them below. Many more parts are on the way. I finally got the original air cleaner bolt as well.

Mustang_10.jpg

Mustang_11.jpg

Mustang_12.jpg

Mustang_13.jpg

Mustang_14.jpg

Mustang_15.jpg

Mustang_16.jpg

Mustang_17.jpg

·
Registered
1968 Mustang
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Removed the lower radiator support. Cutout a section of the damaged passenger frame rail. After further inspection, the frame rail will need to be replaced.

Mustang_26.jpg
Mustang_27.jpg
Mustang_28.jpg
Mustang_29.jpg

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Removed the lower radiator support. Cutout a section of the damaged passenger frame rail. After further inspection, the frame rail will need to be replaced.
Been there son! Ah the fun.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1968 Mustang
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Been there son! Ah the fun.....
I have an entire room of my house filled with replacement parts, but I've just been spending a lot of time hiking and camping this summer. Now that fall is just around the corner, things will slow down and I can finally get the frame rail and floors replaced! Of course I'll post pictures once I start making progress!

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,121 Posts
Looks like a nice project, I can also relate to uncovering more rust the deeper you dig. Wise choice switching to NPD as your parts supplier. They have been my top choice for parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts