Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi once again,

I've got a set of nice Cobra valve covers and would like to replace my fading blue standard issue covers. How do I change them out? Do I need replacement gaskets? and where can I get those?

Jorge (feeling pretty newbie-ish) :: ::

·
Registered
220 Posts
When you take off valve covers you do need a set of gaskets to go on. I am pretty sure you just take off the screws and pry them off.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I Agree with last post and add that tapping on the side of the cover with a rubber mallet works to break them loose.

K

·
0 Posts
Simple bolts hold down the covers, number depending on valve cover type.
If you are sure that the Cobra covers will fit just unbolt them, buy new gaskets (take the old ones to a auto parts store if you're not sure) and bolt the new ones on.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Before you begin, remove one bolt from the old covers and make sure it is long enough to use on the Cobra covers. Since they are aluminum the flange will be thicker and you may need longer bolts to attach them. I would recommend that you purchase rubber valve cover gasket not the cork ones. Also purchase some gasket adhesive, I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive number 08001. Use it to glue the gaskets to the covers, use nothing between the gasket and the cylinder head. Be sure to tighten the bolts evenly. Good Luck ,it will really look nice when you are finished. Jeff

·
Registered
245 Posts
Down here, best choice of gasket are Federal mogul´s FELPRO brand. Instead of gluing your gaskets you might better want to know how much torque you need for those valve covers, adequate torque should be enough to prevent oil leakage and best of all you will not need to clean your pieces if you change your valve covers again. Another convenience is that many gasket manufacturers gives you warranty against any fabrication defect only if you install the gasket in a propper manner. This aplies for any of the engine gaskets. Of course i don´t expect you to have a Torque-meter, but you could ask for help to a neighbor a relative or a good mechanic of your trust. Using a torque-meter also avoids the possibility of breaking the bolts.

If you are starting to get your hands dirty into your Mustang you might want to do things right from the beginning. ;)

·
Registered
861 Posts
One other thing before placing the new covers and gaskets is to make sure the top of the heads are clean and no old gasket or sealer is left. Remember not to over tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
721 Posts
One more little thing: if the bolts are too long, they'll bottom out and you'll never torque the bolts adequately. This happened on my buddy's Camaro.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts