Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, First time posting, I have a 65 with a 6cyl, and 4 lug drums all around. I am wanting to convert to five lug wheels all the way around, and while i am at it i want to go ahead and put disc brakes up front. So I have researched some and found that the Granada Spindle swap sounds like the most common. SO, Am I headed in the right direction with this swap, and are there any other front disc donor cars out there that would be cheaper and eaiser. THANKS

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
A big welcome to the forum.
There are other donor cars, but none that are cheaper, easier, or more available. You are probably already aware, there are front disc kits that can be purchased that use the original spindle and retain the 4-bolt hub (NPE, CJ Ponyparts, etc). They are a bit pricey, ($1000-1200) but they are all new parts. Salvage yard Granada parts will be used parts at best, and you will probably want to recondition or replace most of the components. The 4 bolt hub disc system is a bolt-on conversion that only requires some running of new lines off the dual MC, the ultimate easy install, unless you are determined to put 5 bolts all around.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am right ahead of you with my '66. I found nothing that was cheaper than the granada conversion. Just be warned, it is a lot of work.

Those cars have not been built for 23 years and are getting very hard to find in junk yards. Read http://www.mustangsteve.com/MustangSteveFAQ.html before you head out to get the parts. Be sure to get the tie rod sleeves and not just the ends.

The 6 cyclinder also has its own issue. The steering linkage will not work. You need to replace it with a V8's. I found a complete set-up from Texas Mustang (in Mustangs and Fords) for $149.95. But you will still need the granada tie rod ends.

While you are doing this you might consider the shelby 1" drop and replacing any worn parts liek ball joints and bushings.

James

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If I were in your situation (and I am), I would (and I'm going to) replace the entire front end with V-8 front end and steering components, Idler Arm, Pitman Arm, Center Link, Outer and Inner Tie Rods, Ends, and Adjusting Sleeves. If you just try to put the Granada spindle on a 6 cylinder 4 lug suspension, from what I've read the tie rod adjusting sleeve is the wrong size and would need the proper adjusting sleeve. Other option is an adaptor for the ball joint on the outer tie rod end (mustang steve sells one I think). Problem with the adaptor is that it makes bump steer worse, but is a cheaper solution.

If you search evilbay, you can sometimes find the kits already made up and some even rebuilt with new parts for $400-600. Our local pick and pull wanted $200 for the spindles and brakes. It starts adding up.

Personally, I'm replacing my entire front end and buying a kit. Sure, it's $800-900, but I know it is a good kit, comes with all the right parts, and I have some recourse if something isn't right.

I just don't trust myself to do brakes from scratch. You screw up an engine...car doesn't move, you're safe. Screw up your brakes...car moves, doesn't stop, you're dead.
::

BTW: Don't know if you know about it, but check out: http://www.fordsix.com

It's where a lot of us sixers hang out.
Slade

1 - 4 of 4 Posts