Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this site, and Bob does an excellent job. This is one of the best info sites on the web for our hobby. Wouldnt it be great if the forums were divided into year chunks like the parts section? I know there are a lot of OT stuff that wouldnt fit into them, but it would be great (for me anyhow) to be able to easily browse hundreds of 69/70 posts.......

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
UH OH !

Get out your asbestos undies. You have suggested CHANGE! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Get ready to hear all about the spontaneous nature of the discussions, fun freely mixed with good advice, segregation, discrimination, here it comes...................../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Fact is, this forum is PURPOSELY not organized nor heavily administrated/moderated, in order to keep discussions lively, fresh, and free-flowing.

Next thing you know, someone will bring up "Pop to the Top" again! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I have to (respectfully) disagree. The mix is good, and sometimes a topic for another year's vehicle will relate to my car in some odd way. Plus, pushing out each year to its own forum is effectively the same as banishing O/T posts to their own forum. We've considered that idea a couple of times, and overwhelmingly agreed that it would be a bad thing to do.

As long as people try to keep some hint of the year / topic in their post title, it's not really a problem to skip most posts that don't relate to my interests.

Steve

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Mmmmm.... beer.....

G

·
0 Posts
Even though I'm a die-hard 65/66 fan, I like the mix of all the cars in one forum. There's so much cross-over in issues between the years that I benefit from the vast majority of posts, even those not directly about 65/66 cars.

I think VMF would probably not be what it is today if it were divided up into different years.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
I disagree that splitting the forum by years would improve it. Rather, splitting it by years would make it so that people with cross-year knowledge would not be able to readily share their knowledge.

I know for a fact that I would not take the time to read multiple forums and I am sure that there are a lot of folk out there that feel similarly.

Let us stop making suggestions of this nature. They crop up quarterly and get the same responses each and every time. Next time you feel like suggesting a change to the format of the forum do a search first to check the kind of flames you will receive as a result.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Disagree, we'll loose the focus and people to concentrate only on their models. It's a lot of expertise around here and I like to read everything. Usually posts are marked with year, if you want to address specific model.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I was expecting some flamage... I was just saying for me it would be great, but I really do agree that the cross pollination of experts across the years is an great thing that would be lost. Maybe what I should have said is that it would be great to be able to search by year or style and get all the posts for that type - I have used the search engine but like as mentioned, many people dont put the proper info or spelling in the title or body, or you get results you dont need... Im Perfectly fine with the way it is, really.....

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
Are you disagreeing with my disagreement, or did you reply to the wrong post?

Wanna fight? Step outside! If I'm not there in five minutes, start without me.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Yeh, what they said.

I find the parts section annoying if you are looking for an engine item that would apply to any year small block. I don't take the time to search each section.

Now separating by color of car...Hmm, there an idea./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Argh! Deviationist! Off to the "re-education" camp!
Seriously though, dividing the forum into year groups would tend to kill the lively interchange that exists on this forum. It would also tend to reinforce the idea that the 65/66, 67/68, 69/70 and 71/72/73 models were somehow separately developed and dropped onto the face of the earth by some unknown power. These cars are all heavily related and share many of the same strengths and weaknesses. I benefit from and enjoy learing about the earlier and later models. Besides, my 69's have almost as much in common with the 68's as they do with the 70 cars (excepting sheet metal). A search engine that allowed searching by year might be neat, but we can already search by subject.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ktel - Yeah, I was disagreeing with your disagreement, to an extent. I see the value of both sides of this argument. Maybe if we segregated by body style (coupe/vert/fastback) AND by color..Like the Camaro forum.... OK, Just kidding! Sheeesh. Chris, shouldnt you be working????? I guess when the title at the top sez "Goatholes Vintage Mustang Forums", I can have it the way I want.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I thought this would be a good idea too.

But then, the 67-8 guys and the 69-70 guys (and gals) wouldn't know about the tidbit I found out the other day while hoisting the 67 onto the rotisserie.
The guy I borrowed said rotis from said "it was too bad that it didn't fit the early cars too."

So I drug out the front 'pitch fork' part of the rotis -- the part that bolts to the frame's bumper holes -- and put it onto the 65 restomod and found that the 65 is the same width as the 67. I then measured my 70 and find that the 69-70 is the same too!
The rear is also the same width, but the 65-66 has two bumper bracket holes 1 inch higher than the other two.
I don't have a 71-3 to measure.

Bottom line is that the wider engine compartment on the 67-70 is due to the outward splaying on the part of the shock towers and not by any frame width size differences. Most of the overall body width difference is due to extra floor sheet metal between the sub-frames and rocker panel areas.
This also explains why the 67 has longer upper and lower control arms.

Kool.

BossBill

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I rebuilt an 83 vert that had been totalled about 15 years ago and other than that.... didn't know squat about Mustangs. I had always wanted to do a so called "ground up" project, but either didn't have the money, time, or a place to do it. I live in a little town and had little or no help from the locals. But I found a car and got started. I ran across the Forum on a "search" and It really is amazing all the info that can be obsorbed and applied from all years.(64-73) I would almost go as far as to say "if you can't find an answer to a question or problem on here" then the problem doesn't exist! In all honesty with all the college degrees that can now be gotten via the internet..... I think I'm just about ready for my finals in Classic Mustanging 101......"G"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts