Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know, you hear these stories but never think they're true. I went to look at an old MGA yesterday and when the gentleman opened the door to his storage building, I saw about 15 classics stored there. Most notably a '69 Mach I, a Sunbeam Tiger, and this '66 GT-350 that had a rear quarter taken off and no engine. The car is mostly disassembled and belongs to an older guy that is simply storing the cars there. I should have his phone number on monday so I can give him a call. Assuming he's interested in the selling it...how much would this be worth? Its pretty much just a shell left, but it looked solid - I didn't see any rust on it.

Thanks!

Alec

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Your first born????........ :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not without an engine its not :) Since thats not an option as I am still in college and have no intentions of any children any time soon....got a dollar figure? I should've snapped some pictures of it, but I wasn't thinking about it since I was so preoccupied with how awful the MG looked :)

Thanks!

Alec

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I doubt it has no rust. Sounds like it's pretty rough if the quarter is gone - was it taken off for rust reasons, or was it hit? Are the wheels there? Is the hood in decent shape? What's going on in the interior? Are the Shelby specific items in there? What Shelby VIN is it? Is it even a real one (and do you know how to tell)? Is the rear end in the car? Traction bars? Transmission (automatic or stick, and what is it supposed to have)? What color is it? Is the engine gone, or just out of the car? Is there any documentation with the car?

Lots of factors go into pricing... very hard to say without knowing more. I've heard of some 66 rust-buckets going for some silly money ($20K) though, so if the guy knows what he has (which pretty much everyone does) I wouldn't expect a fire-sale price.

-bob

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'd (seriously... and even personally) be interested in the Tiger.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I still haven't been in contact with the actual owner of the car...so all I know about it is what I saw. The original wheels are there...with an extra spare it looked like. I didn't see any rust, but the car is gutted and it is basically just a r0lling shell. Also, I cannot confirm that it is a real shelby as I did not look at the VIN number, but I was told that it is real - guess I'll find out if/when I talk to the owner. I was just trying to get an idea of what the car is worth as a shell that would need atleast one new quarter and a complete restoration including purchasing new parts. I have a feeling the guy will want more than its worth if he's even willing to part with it.

Thanks all,

Alec
'66 Coupe - hopefully Trans Am replica eventually

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
On ebay it is worth at least $40K ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
so what happened with the mga. sure mustangs are nice but i love a good british "sports" car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately the MGA looked *ok* on the outside, but the chassis looked completely rusted out. The guy also wanted upwards of $5,000 for a non-running, rusted out car. Good thing he doesn't own the Shelby :p MGAs are cool cars, but not worth 5 grand if you have to build a new frame and body for it!

·
Registered
623 Posts
In my opinion Bob pretty much called it. Depends on what is there and also on the documented history available on the car. Whats in the Registry and so on. Just a legitimate VIN and a really bad car needing everything or rebodying might bring $20K or more in this market. I would be interested to know the VIN if you can get it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try and get the VIN on Monday - the guy who's storing it for the owner is out of town until then so I won't even have a phone number for the owner until then....hopefully. I'll keep everyone updated on any progress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts