Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nothing chaps my a#% more then someone that does not care about others property. Door dings are at the top of the list. I find myself not taking the mustang out because of idiots that don’t care. It takes me forever to park trying to find the best spot that someone won’t park by me. It drives my wife crazy!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. There's not much worse than driving away from a parking lot only to notice later that the a**clown parked next to you dinged your car. Except (maybe) realizing that your Mustang, which has been garaged parked for 5 months, now has a new, serious ding in the fender which coincidentally happens to be the same height as your wife's SUV. But your wife religiously backs into the garage so that means it was a rear door. The one your two-year-old can now open herself. And how can you yell at such a small, wonderful person who has zero understanding about what she did, or why you care so much about a car? So you just let it go and sadly remind her to wait for mommy to open the door... Hypothetically, of course.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
When my wife and I were newlyweds, 1999, she drove my 66 to work and I kept her 97 Cougar home to do all the maintenance and detail. She came home almost sick, on the verge of tears, apologizing, some dingleberry fell off his bicycle while she was stopped at a traffic light, his handlebar scraping a 6 inch gash in the paint and primer right under the passenger door handle. He got up, said, "Sorry," and quickly rode in another direction. She got out and looked immediately but couldn't catch his a$$. I couldn't be mad at her. It's a driver...
I have been door dinged and such a few times but since the car is made of real metal, it doesn't dent, just scuffed the paint. They probably fared worse but don't care.
For years, I've parked uphill from cart returns, next to an island and deep in the spot so the next car is a full door extension away and then some, if there's any cars around at all. I usually take up two spots, often at an angle so there's just no way to park by me.

Door-dingers, here's a big bouquet of Pi$$-on-yas.
♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. There's not much worse than driving away from a parking lot only to notice later that the a**clown parked next to you dinged your car. Except (maybe) realizing that your Mustang, which has been garaged parked for 5 months, now has a new, serious ding in the fender which coincidentally happens to be the same height as your wife's SUV. But your wife religiously backs into the garage so that means it was a rear door. The one your two-year-old can now open herself. And how can you yell at such a small, wonderful person who has zero understanding about what she did, or why you care so much about a car? So you just let it go and sadly remind her to wait for mommy to open the door... Hypothetically, of course.
My mustang has all original panels (the repops are typically thinner and even easier to work with), if you're pretty sure your fender isn't slathered in thick filler, a PDR works on the old stuff too. I got a couple hail dings in my trunk from the garage door being open during a storm. He got those out, a door ding I didn't even realize was there, and he worked out the "elbow dips" that were on the front fender tops when I got the car and have bothered me ever since I bought it.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
My "happiest" DD days were the two years I had a 2008 Ranger pickup I could drive home. I parked that damn thing right in front of the door wherever I went. I was about the 4th person to have it, so it already had dings and scrapes all over it. I just kept the interior kinda clean and rolled with it.

My biggest issue is I love driving and I want to drive something cool (at least to me) all the time. I grew up below what would be considered the poverty line, parents had rusty *** **** cars all the time, I've worked my way to upper middle class and dammit, I wanna be like the cool kids :)
LOL....I have fond remembrances of my 90 Ranger 4x4 super cab. It looked good from a distance but had its share of small dings and paint chips. At that time, early 90s, you couldn't hardly find a good used 4x4. This one sat on the lot because it only had the 2.9 V6, everyone wanted the 4.0. I drove that thing everywhere without a care. About a month after I got it, I killed a pretty heavy bodied 8 pointer about 1/2 mile down a grown up logging road. After about 5 minutes of dragging that deer it occurred to me that I bought that truck for a reason. I dropped it in low and muscled my way back there with branches and briers making awful screeching sounds dragging both sides of the truck. It was a great day! Now I cringe when bugs hit my F150 SCREW....sigh

·
Registered
296 Posts
My mustang has all original panels (the repops are typically thinner and even easier to work with), if you're pretty sure your fender isn't slathered in thick filler, a PDR works on the old stuff too. I got a couple hail dings in my trunk from the garage door being open during a storm. He got those out, a door ding I didn't even realize was there, and he worked out the "elbow dips" that were on the front fender tops when I got the car and have bothered me ever since I bought it.

I'm 100% the fender has minimal filler in it since it was a repop (most of my car's metal was rusted by the time I got it) and it was primed, filled, and painted by me. I think I'll try the PDR route, thanks! Thankfully she opened it into the upper part of the fender, where it's flat so pulling it might actually work. Worst case scenario I have a reminder of when she was little and something to tease her about when she's older.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It's good to have a host of like minded car folks to vent to. I texted a pic of it to the girl I'm seeing and she said "oh that's a minor inconvenience". 🙄 Need to find someone who understands.

I've got three other cars I can drive but I'd hate that my fear of other people's stupidity would prevent me from enjoying the car I'm paying to own. Nonetheless I'm still driving it to work and on outings. I refuse to own a garage queen.

Anyways I'm on the hunt for a PDR guy. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts

Anyways I'm on the hunt for a PDR guy.

Remember that PDR is part science, part skill, part luck, and part voodoo. Ask around; there are guys who work magic. Usually, new car or high end car dealers have a guy on speed dial. Talk to the dealer that you got the Hellcat from.

Best of luck.

John

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I've been in the pdr business for 26 years,and we fix over 500 cars a month... I would use Express Dents in Ft. Worth. Very experienced and that dent WILL definitely be repairable by an experienced tech. Will probably have to go through the rear wheel well for best access without drilling the door jamb. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Dent HQ in Plano is excellent as well...I don't know exactly where you are. I know most of the best PDR techs Nationwide, and have used well over 100 Techs from around the country during Hailstorms...

·
Registered
180 Posts
ding

I have found the true meaning to the word "freedom": 2003 Toyota Highlander daily. I've had it for two years, never washed it. Keep the interior nice and clean. It's comfy, decent on gas and works great for camping. Also, completely invisible to cops. If I ruled the world, every classic car would come with a 15 year old Toyota SUV, then everybody would be happy.
My freedom is a 1997 Toyota T100 pickup with over 300,000 miles. In decent shape but a ding just blends in with the patina.

Allen

21 - 34 of 34 Posts