Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found the build sheet under the drivers seat tucked in the seat springs. the paper seems prettt frail. are there any tricks to safely unfold everything without it all crumbling to ash lol.

TIA
danny

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah the secret is moisture. Try to lightly spray it with water from a mister type sprayer and let it sit overnight. Mine wasn't folded so it was not a big deal but I think you'll need some patience here. Some vaseline or hand lotion might help if the water doesn't do the trick.

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
Place several wet paper towels in the bottom of a sealable (e.g., Tupperware) container. Put a baking rack on top of the towels and place the build sheet on the rack. Seal the container and let it sit for several days. Check it every day to see if the paper has loosened up. Don't let the paper lie on the wet towels, just let the moisture do its work.

When I did this for a friend, it took about a week and the paper unfolded beautifully. Lay it on some dry paper towels as you smooth it out flat. It will not stay flexible, so photocopy it once you have it unfolded so that you will have the record.

Do not spray the paper and don't try to rub anything into it. This method was given to me by an archivist. It works and it's safe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Laurie is bang on.

You really only get one chance to do this. Any type of rubbing between the paper unfolding it could be bad news. Don't rush it, think how neat it will be to retrieve the information when it's unfolded.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've found that steam from a steam iron works very well on older papers, and once flattened out, you can iron it very nicely. We used to do it this way with old newspapers. Top

1 - 7 of 7 Posts