Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always felt, since I put my latest engine into my '66, that it should be faster than what it was. It was fast, but somehow, I just didn't see the improvement that I'd envisioned t with my 10:1 flat-tops, the roller rockers, radical Lunati cam, full length headers and RPM intake. Yup, here comes a doofus, especially since this is the second time I've done this with my car.

I started noticing that I never really hear the secondaries open up on the re-calibrated 1406 Edelbrock. This weekend, while working on my son's car with him and a buddy, I had his buddy get in my car and put the pedal on the floor. The secondaries were just barely cracking open, even though, manually under the hood, I could push the throtte rod by hand and have them open (I assume it was tilting the accelerator pedal just right to get there, and tiltiing it to a postion I could not physically do with my foot, even if I wanted to).

I bent the accelerator rod slightly to give me more travel before the pedal hits the floor. Holy, MOLY! You damn sure hear those secondaries now! So ... like I did with my first engine (now serving in my son's daily driver), I've been driving around with basically a 2 barrel for the last year.

Ok, pass the doofus!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Whoa!! That qualifies, LOL! Think about the sucky gas mileage you will get now smoking the ricers in your "new" thorobred! I bet you were getting 20MPG with the "old" 2 barrel. hehe. Actually, how could you check it without someone else running the throttle? That was a fairly tricky toubleshooting problem. But watch out now!!! Be careful out there.....

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
dude, im happy for you that you found out all you needed was a no cost correction to get there!!

enjoy (dont wrap it round a telephone pole, LOL!!)

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Boy, Laurie sure didn't have it very long, did she?

So, with all your new found power, when are you going to take it to the strip???

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I'll bet your gas mileage goes to heck now /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Tire wear will increase as well.

Geeze, John. That's a pretty silly thing to overlook.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
LOL
Just imagine what it would do now with a Holley on it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Glad to hear you found such a easy solution to a vexing problem.

Are you going to take it for a dyno run? It would be interesting to see what it is really doing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts