Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a professional remove the windshield and backglass from the 66 FB today. Glad I did. Apparently, the bodyman used urethane sealer, and that gasket was glued in there tight! Glass came out fine, and is tucked away nicely for the next couple of years.

There's a hole in the front windshield lip, about 2" to the right and behind another clip-post, but it is not a rust hole. Glassman said he thinks it was a drip hole, but there's not a similar one on the other side. Backglass clearly leaked around the gasket/car lip at the lower corner, right where I saw water leaking into the interior and trunk.

Oh, the glass was not glued to the gasket! And, the car's primer is not two-part epoxy, as the body-man said it was, but simple lacquer primer. Oh, am I PO'ed at him!

He said the butyl material doesn't hold up in FL very well, due to the high heat. It just heats up and starts to run. But, there's nothing better on the market.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I plan to have Mid built up to! *G*

Seriously, it is a photoshop job of John68's coupe from three years ago. He used to be on VMF: the star of freaks and geeks. Anyway, the car is called the Mustank. I've run out of fun pictures of my own, and am now borrowing others. I'd use Keahi's bellybutton pic, but she won't let me. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Now where's the pic of my sweetie rhino with the thong bikini bottom?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
There's a hole in the front windshield lip, about 2" to the right and behind another clip-post, but it is not a rust hole. Glassman said he thinks it was a drip hole
Unless the fastback is different than a coupe (which I don't think it is here), there's no "drain hole" in the windshield lip. Sounds like the work of a previous doofus PO.

Oh, the glass was not glued to the gasket!
Not all that surprising. Back in the good ol' days when you could get Ford windshield/backglass seals, noone ever glued the seal to the glass ... just used sealant between the seal and the body. With today's repro crap, however, it's a different ball game, and not sealing the much thinner, much crappier repro seals to the body will guarantee a leak.

And, the car's primer is not two-part epoxy, as the body-man said it was, but simple lacquer primer.
Just be careful how/if you aproach the old body guy in Manassis. I don't know how this guy could determine that it wasn't a 2 part epoxy. Every primer I've ever used, be it for lacquer or BC/CC has been a 2 part primer.

He said the butyl material doesn't hold up in FL very well, due to the high heat. It just heats up and starts to run. But, there's nothing better on the market.
Unless things have changed a lot since I was last in Florida, this is pure BS. The temps here in Sacramento routinely get above 110 degrees in the summer. I've yet to see butyl caulking get runny on any of my cars /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

Are you sure about this body guy?

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The glassman made his comments about the primer based upon the color, as two-part epoxy never comes in battle-ship grey. I said I saw pics of the car in a slime-greenish primer, but what was under the backwindow lip was nowhere close to this color.

As for the butyl caulking, that's what the glassman said. I thought it was BS too, but that's OK. He'll use it when he installs the glass.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
well, i was in the body business around about the time your car was new, so i saw the parts you talk about new and replaced a few windshields in most all Fords .Hard to say what the previouse owner used to put the windshield in with, but the black bytle isnt gonna drip out and when it comes time to put it back in, use a very small amount inside the rubber along with a bead on the metal side or you will have leaks again, glue wasnt used back then at all, and unless they have come up with something newer or better ,butyl is still the way to go now with window rubber. about the most messy stuff you can get your hands on.
And no Ford i recall has a weap hole where you mentioned, maybe a replaced panel missmatch or repair?.
i get the impression your buddy has a lack of knowledge or just fillin your boots a little.
Body shop lacquer is usually red or black
urethane sealer on rubber ,probably why it leaked.
but, never mind , in 2 years he wont be the guy putting it back in.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Johnpro -

This caught my eye:

Oh, the glass was not glued to the gasket!
Not all that surprising. Back in the good ol' days when you could get Ford windshield/backglass seals, noone ever glued the seal to the glass ... just used sealant between the seal and the body. With today's repro crap, however, it's a different ball game, and not sealing the much thinner, much crappier repro seals to the body will guarantee a leak.

So what do we do? I figured rubber parts would actually be reasonably close to OEM in part accuracy and quality. Guess I'm fooling myself. Who do you use?

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KeanBean: Wrapped them up in old bedspreads, and laid them upright on a wooden frame in a utility room, with 2x4's separated by 8" for the bottoms. Laid them carefully down and leaning against the wall. It's an out of the way area, one I rarely go into. But the water heater may leak, and the glassman said glass exposed to standing water will discolor.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My epoxy primer was originally gray, but then tinited pink for the final coat. Check out my Web site for photos.

And eastern NC gets as hot as Florida, and no sealer has ever gotten runny on my glass. Don't know who your glassman is, but I got Safelite to install my new Safelite windshield and original backlight. Both leaked. Safelite came back three times until the leaks were gone. Even brought another windshield in case he had to remove mine and broke it.

Midlife, why are you tucking away your glass for two years? Are you rerestoring your car?

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cleaned up the goop on the back window, and discovered what the glassman thought was lacquer primer was merely buffing residue caked on the lip. It came off easily with a fingernail, revealing nice, candyapple red paint underneath. I did see some small rust sections, mostly surficial, that I'll hit with corolless. 3 molding clips were missing. Oh well. Life goes on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts