Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my strangely running engine problems are in the past. Turned out to be three things that all happened within a day of so of each other. First, the dampner keyway slot opened up (15 deg. or so off), letting the dampner move so there was an out of balance issue which overshadowed everything else. I had another one so that was quickly remedied. But is still ran aweful when hot. Next I founds a bad plug wire that only opened up when hot. Then the Jacobs Pro Street spark bix also acted up, again only when hot (seems like a bad IC). The last two problems only occurred about 30 miles into a trip. It ran fine upon start up after I put in the new dampener. I replaced the Pro Street/coil combo with an older Jacobs chrome Vari-Mag coil and took several hours to test the plug wires when they were hot with an ohm meter. One wire opened only when hot and in a certain position. I have some spare wires so I'm covered. So, now the car runs really well again. And during all of my searching, I found other things. I thought I was going nuts. Now I can do the interior which is in boxes in my garage. I was determined not to do anything else until it ran right again. Now we'll see what Jabob's will do for me with the spark box. I know the wires are covered since I bought the original set prior to their change in warranty so I'll get a new 8.5 mm set free. This time I'm going to get a set that has one end unfinished so they will not be too long. But the spark box? Have to see about that one. Hope it is cheaper to fix than the cost of an MSD. If not, then MSD it is! Took a while to find this stuff and I'm a happy rodder now. Oh, I also talked to a CHP person and found that blue dots are illegal in Calif. Gonna do it anyway. It's just a fix it ticket and I have extra lenses. Also adding a second 1157 bulb to the taillight buckets so they are brighter in general. But not 'till I finish up that sad interior!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts