Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change my 66 289 to a four barrel, I have an intake I have had for over 20 years, how do I know for sure it is for a 289? I want to go with the 4100 carb and have found them at Pony Carbs, I want to stay with original equip. rather than going to aftermarket, there is no spacer on intake, were they a standard size? anything to look out for?

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I am going to change my 66 289 to a four barrel, I have an intake I have had for over 20 years, how do I know for sure it is for a 289? I want to go with the 4100 carb and have found them at Pony Carbs, I want to stay with original equip. rather than going to aftermarket, there is no spacer on intake, were they a standard size? anything to look out for?
Is it factory intake? Any markings? Provide a pic.
In lieu of this, dry fit it! Are you a handy wrench?
OEM type spacer are available and highly recommended, in my book of knowledge and experience.
Hay Motoring!

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
It may have a casting number CXOE 9425-B. X being the year. It'll fit 221, 260, 289, or 302.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I did the same conversion last year. I used a original 66 cast iron intake, 1.08 4100 carb and spacer. The conversion from an orginal 2V to a 4V setup was easy. Choke, vacuum and fuel connections are the same as with the 2100 2V. Here are some pictures of my conversion.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I did the same conversion last year. I used a original 66 cast iron intake, 1.08 4100 carb and spacer. The conversion from an orginal 2V to a 4V setup was easy. Choke, vacuum and fuel connections are the same as with the 2100 2V. Here are some pictures of my conversion.
Nice work there Erwin!

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
I did the same conversion last year. I used a original 66 cast iron intake, 1.08 4100 carb and spacer. The conversion from an original 2V to a 4V setup was easy. Choke, vacuum and fuel connections are the same as with the 2100 2V. Here are some pictures of my conversion.
If you are doing a 4V conversion on an otherwise stock 289, this is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
While there are a few different versions of the spacer, any one of them will work. Additionally, I do not believe there is anything special about a Pony carb. Nice plating if you are going Concours, but for a daily driver you could rebuild it just as well with a $30 kit and $20 worth of carb dip.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Or get an Edelbrock 500 cfm carb. I have had the 4100 and the Edelbrock and IMO the performance is equivalent. Lots cheaper than Pony plus Pony quality can be hit or miss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts