Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im wanting to do a four lug conversion to a five lug and I was wondering if it was better to use an adaptor or replace the axle shaft to one design for a five lug already?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
You'll need to change the entire rear axle assembly as the 5 lug axle shafts won't fit in the 4 lug axle housing. The 5 lug housing has an 8" or more uncommon 9" ring gear and some do a conversion with the newer 8.8" rear axle assembly.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
To do the front, you'll need V8 spindles, bearings, tie rod ends, center link, Pitman and idle arms, possibly new upper and lower control arms.

·
Premium Member
6,639 Posts
The short answer is:

Do it right.

The V8 rear end assembly, with gears, will be about $500 +/- for a 1965 1966. You can use 1967 - 1970, cheaper, with later wheels and adapters, but it will still be $400 or so.

Front end, you have to replace pitman arm and everything outbound from it (all steering part, center link, tie rods, sleeves, spindles, etc.) You do not have to change upper or lower control arms.

You will need a V8 drive shaft. There are little parts, like wiring, etc. that has to be changed out also.

It is not a hard conversion, just tedious and expensive, unless you have a donor car sitting right beside you.

Do not put a V8 type engine on 4 lug front spindles. I see too many of those spindles shearing off the right side pin. I do not know why the right side, maybe 50 years of curbs and potholes, or something else. Also, typically with V8 brings higher speeds, and the little drums on a 4 lug can't handle it, so the entire car becomes a parts car.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yeah, Had a guy in my club use the 4 lug to 5-lug adapters...and it came out really well... The only thing that I did not like about the adapters was that I think that they ONLY USE 3 LUGS to hold on the 5 Lug ADAPTER! LOL! The 4th lug can't be fitted I don't think because it does not have enough space to fit on the 5-lug adapter ring! No LIE! He got his 5-lug wheels though...even if they are only held on by 3 lugs....crazy! The adapters sell for around $80 a piece... SO Why make them? ..because they only use 3 lugs.... Because People buy them... Didn't old French Peugeots and Yugoslavian YUGOS only use 3 lugs?!?? to hold the wheel on????

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
236 Posts
One alternative is to do the front suspension as mentioned above, and then RE-DRILL the rear axles/drum for 5 lug until you can get the money for a new axle. I did that on my build and getting the rear axle/Drum done by a machine shop was like $200.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, Had a guy in my club use the 4 lug to 5-lug adapters...and it came out really well... The only thing that I did not like about the adapters was that I think that they ONLY USE 3 LUGS to hold on the 5 Lug ADAPTER! LOL! The 4th lug can't be fitted I don't think because it does not have enough space to fit on the 5-lug adapter ring! No LIE! He got his 5-lug wheels though...even if they are only held on by 3 lugs....crazy! The adapters sell for around $80 a piece... SO Why make them? ..because they only use 3 lugs.... Because People buy them... Didn't old French Peugeots and Yugoslavian YUGOS only use 3 lugs?!?? to hold the wheel on????

Tony K.
yugos use 4lug. older small renault and peugeot use 3lug..

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Well, I was close...lol...

Tony K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts