Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in here taken the A/C out of a fox body and put it in there 1960s mustang? Will it fit on an old 289 or 302? I know vintage air and some other make some nice kits but 1500 is a nice chunk of change when there are plenty of junked fox bodies out there with a/c units.

·
Dimples
4,674 Posts
Very little swaps over. Maybe something could be fabricobbled together to use more than the compressor, but the whole system is just way different.

I have a fox compressor on mine, but it’s part of the factory serpentine setup I’m using, which you’d have to switch to to run the compressor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was curious how much could swap over cuz it’s essentially the same motor I just know the interior works would take a little “custom” fab work to get it to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Everything will fit from a fox body except the most important part..... the evaporator inside the car. The heater/ac evaporator boxes inside these cars are designed for the limited space under the specific dash for the car they are made for. If a fox or any other more common modern car would work, the companies wouldn't be able to charge 1500$ for their kits.

Reactions: Davidwer07

·
Dimples
4,674 Posts
I don’t think the condenser/dryer is going to fit without some surgery to the radiator support. Lines aren’t the same either.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Its probably best to just go new, you can probably save a little by coming up with your own AC compressor bracket, and compressor. The rest will probably be a pain in the ass to try to try to salvage.

I had pulled an AC compressor, and bracket off my street rod when I went serpentine and thought I could use it on my 64 to save money. First the AC mounted on the pass side on the street rod so the compressor bracket was out. Next the compressor looked to be oily around the shaft seal so it was out. In the end I saved nothing and am running 100% new. i have about $1200 in all new components and the underdash system works well. I guess where I'm going with this is most people don't have the knowledge and the tools to work on AC properly so I'd want something I know is going to work when I take it to the shop to have it charged.

Reactions: Davidwer07

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Im surprised someone hasn't thought of a kit to replace the heater core with an evaporator. Think about it:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts