Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my FPA headers this evening and i think for $500, they're not worth it. Only the outside of the tubes are chromed/polished and the upper part of the flange polished. The inside of the tubes are still the unpolished nickle finish. I realize its hard to completely polish the entire tube in places, but i've seen a lot of chrome headers on race cars that were completely chromed/polished. I'd rather just have the nickle finish and save a bunch of bucks. Oh well, such is life.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Are you referring to the actual inside of the tubes where exhaust flows?
Can't really see any need for that to be polished... its going to be black with soot almost instantly.
Got pics?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I was just glancing at their webpage again and for $500 they don't come chrome, but nickle plated and polished. Its an additional charge for chrome or ceramic coated.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
We have two sets of those headers and love 'em. They hang no lower than the stock oil pan. The ball and socket collector is a much better design and needs no gasket. They do cost a lot but are well worth it in my opinion. The car in our sig pic has a set.

John

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
How well has the finish kept up John?
I've seen a lot of nickle plated headers turn blue after some usage...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No i'm not referring to the inside of the tubes where the exhaust flows. I'm referring to the engine block side of the header. If they're going to polish them, then polish the entire header tube (except the unaccessible sections). As far as i know, most chroming is dull until it is polished.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I got the Hedman Elite headers for my 351w and they were also a no gasket, ball and socket joint at the end of the header. They are hot jet coated inside and out and fit pretty darn well in my '71. They were only like 275$ out of summit. That seems like a better deal than the 500$+ of the FPA's and it has all the same good qualitys.

I will say, I really dont know how well the FPA's are made, but i did have to trim part of a bolt to get it to fit past one of the headers tubes on the Hedmans. I dont know if that difference alone is worth additional 200$ ::

Chaz

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked Hedman, but they don't make a set for the Cleveland. I just got email back about them and they say its "industrial nickel" and no extra to polish. Why half-ass polish something. If you're going to do it, do it right in my opinion. But everyone knows what are opinions are like. ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not sure what engine you have but us FE owners are limited to what headers will fit. Yes the FPA's are not cheap but i'm happy with mine. I have about 1000 miles on mine and they are only slightly blue. They are well worth the money and don't hang down below the oil pan like most other FE headers do.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/flicktra/390prep.jpg

·
Registered
246 Posts
If all you have to complain about is that the inside of your headers aren't polished....you're lucky. Maybe it's just me, but who cares? They are plated, polished in the tube won't make it any faster. JMO

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got some for my '66 Fairlane FE. one bit of advice, don't brak a cam in with the headers. It won't matter if there is nickel on the front side or back side because you may not have any at all! how do I know? I did just that, got a few tubes red hot. They're kind of dull now but the fit and performance are worth the $500+ for me. I was able to have somewhat custom headers made. I chose the Fairlane style tubes mated to the 428CJ flange. A 390GT flange and head has different port sizes and locations. There was no way Hooker was going to custom make me a set of headers like that. Anyone who knows Hookers on FE's, many cases you get leakage at the bottom of the port when using larger than standard 390 heads.

"I Love My FPA's"

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I spent $400 on my JBA Shorties, and let me tell you, compared to the Headmans that I pulled out, WAY WAY WAY better build quality. I'm assuming FPA has similar, or better, build standards. $500 is not "that bad" if you want a set of headers that will last for years.

Also, previous poster stated the nickle/chrome finished coming off, yup, mine did too. Your headers are going to get pretty hot on the outter/pretty surface if the mixture is set properly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
briango,
Read the other post. I'm not complaining about "inside" of the tube. I'm talking about the engine block side of the tube. The thing i'm trying to get across is if you're going to do a polish job, do it right, not half-ass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts