Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've finally got both the torque box and frame rail off on the passanger's side of my 68. My frame rail had been half ass repaired (they cut half of it off and then sandwiched the two different frame rails) and to top it off, they didn't even weld it...they brazed it, which made it a nice bit of fun!

Anyways, the important part is that it is out, and now I'm trying to put in the new frame rail. Which parts should I leave bare from paint where it needs to be welded in? As I stated before, the previous repair was bad so I don't know where the correct welding locations are.

Thanks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I bought weld through primer for mine.Its a bit pricey for rattle can paint but it was made by 3M.Then there is no bare metal.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You'll need a frame reference guide for the measurements. It's included in the body volume of the original Mustang service books (available as reprints). Someone on the site can probably provide a scanned image as well. If the center "hump" section was undesturbed, you should be able to gain some reference with the new frame support section by butting it up against the center section and measuring from the driver's frame support section. My distance between the two frame supports measures 27 1'4", but I have a '69 Sportsroof.

The center section is welded to the frame support by two inside flanges (they are pushed inward on your car - they should be flush with the new support section). There is also a "tab" from the center section that rests under the frame support. The PO cut out a section between the frame support and center support - they should rest against each other. The frame support is welded to the frame rail on both sides and the bottom. Finally, the frame support is welded up to the floor pan.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks. I cut out that little section of the frame rail, it was necessary because they brazed the inside of the center support to the frame rail, so I had to cut off that top part to cut that brazing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts