Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I started the removal of the front frame rail extensions. From the car sitting on jack stands for too many years, the rails have slightly collapsed. They honestly don't look as bad as this, but are deformed to say the least:

http://www.obsidianspider.com/vmf/frontfloorsupport.jpg

(Pic pirated from this post)

The front portion had shown rust forming, so I figured I'd dig in. I removed the front portion and cleaned up the frame rail underneath. The rails are solid and coincidentally it looks like this now:

http://nenny.com/floors/mustangfloors066.jpg

(pic pirated from this post).

The floor pans in my car are solid, so I'm working from underneath on this. The back half of the rails (under the floor pans) are solid, but slightly deformed. I purchased a new pair of rails for replacement, but had a thought.

What penality would I suffer by using just the front half of the new rail, then overlap the existing rail under the floor pans by an inch or so? I can't see how I'd lose strength and I'd work to reshape the old rail while under there. Considering my free time to play right now, this could easily become an entire winter project and I'd prefer to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Thanks,

Al

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Oh no, my pic was pirated! Call the feds! ::

I'd say to replace the whole rail. I'm thinking of making my own replacement rails, something nice and heavy, I was thinking like 10 or 12 gauge...

·
Registered
446 Posts
A word a warning. If you don't have to replace the frame patches "the part under the toeboard" Thats what they are called, then don't. I just did this and I would say, this is as difficult as it gets.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Replace the whole section of seat/frame rail without sectioning it. Since you have already removed the front half, that's the worst part of it. The rear half is not bad, except around the tranny support brace in the hump area. I did the whole thing, and while it took 2 people (one to hold the floor pan down to the frame rail lip for welding, it wasn't bad at all. Deformation in the floor of the frame rail promotes standing water, so it is just about ready to rust through anyway.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I guess the water never stodd in my car in the frame rails ... God knows it did everywhere else :)

Mid , self-tapping sheetmetal screws work alot better for holding panels together than your SWMBO :0
Of course unless you :
A want her to get a sun tan .
B Are trying to give her a reason to replace her clothes from them little burning holes
or
C You want to see her jumping around with the hot-foot (or hand) thing :)

If you used a buddy , then good for you cause Im sure he has scars to prove it :)

:lol:

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
My buddy did the welding, as he has over 25 years of experience doing it, and is much better at it than I. My SWMBO wouldn't even come out to the garage, even if it was on fire and I was yelling "help". :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts